12

We climb into the carriage and Tarioc takes off again

We climb into the carriage and Tarioc takes off again. I stare out the window, slightly more at ease with what's happened. True, I'm not particularly happy about being married to Lucifer against my will, but I've resolved to make the best of it. I still avoid his hypnotic gaze and stare out the window. The sun is setting, painting the sky in vibrant shades of burgundy, tangerine and violet. Set against a backdrop of marble gravestones, it's quite a sight.

Tarioc snaps the reins and our carriage takes a sharp left. The ground seems to slope downward now, and we're gradually gaining speed. I look out the window to see nothing but darkness. The horses' hoof beats echo in the surrounding blackness, and I suddenly feel claustrophobic.

I look at Lucifer. He's reclining in his seat, his head tossed back with his eyes closed and his hands folded behind his neck. He looks so relaxed. I'll bet I look terrified.

"Where are we going?" I try to keep the fear out of my voice.

He never opens his eyes. "Home. Don't worry. We'll be there soon."

"But we're going down!" I barely keep myself from screaming in terror. The darkness is starting to turn me into a five-year-old.

Finally, he cracks one golden eyes open. "Amelia, where is Hell according to your Bible?"

Oh, of course. Hell is the Underworld, below Heaven and earth. I want to bury my face in my hands out of embarrassment. I sit back in my seat and turn my head away, avoiding his gaze and wallowing in my stupidity.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice small flashes of light pass by the window. I peer at them, trying to get a better look. Small bits of flame, no doubt breaking off of the now flaming wheel of our carriage, whip by as we descend deeper and deeper into the earth. I watch them as we continue on, secretly hoping Lucifer has closed his eye again and is no longer watching me.

Moments later, the carriage levels out, the sound of hooves nowhere near as frantic as before. We're slowing down, which must mean we're nearly in Lucifer's

domain. I swallow loudly as I start to shake again. We're finally home now, and I'm nervous about how I'll be received. There must be millions of demons waiting to greet Lucifer and his new bride. I just hope they don't eat me.

The horses come to a halt, which means we're finally here. My heart is pounding out of my chest. I'm trembling at the thought of being welcomed by a mass of demons. The chilly reception I got from Leyna was enough to make me assume the worst. Still, I intend to do my best, so I stand and smooth my dress, hoping to make a good first impression.

Showtime, Amelia.

Again, Lucifer rises and heads for the door, opening it and standing outside waiting for me. I grip his hand for balance and exit the carriage, stepping into a world more wondrous that I've ever imagined.

I'm standing in an enormous caver of a hallway that stretches on for miles. The walls and floor are inlaid with black marble slabs. Granite statues of fornicating humans and demons line the length of the hallway. Elaborately carved metal sconces are imbedded in the marble, cupping soft white flames that cast beautifully curved shadows along the floor. There are enormous cutouts the run along the length of the wall, each bathing the cold floor in the soft orange light that glows beneath the window..

Above me, an arched ceiling is filled with stained glass panels. Soft streams of cobalt, crimson, emerald and gold trickle through, coloring the dark marble. It must be sunlight pouring through those hunks of colored glass. I'm not surprised. This is Hell, and Lucifer can make it any way he likes.

Damn.

Who knew Hell could be so gorgeous?