35

"For whom? You or me?" I eye him cautiously

"Both of us." He scoots closer, pushing the box of metal aside so his thigh touches mine. His eyes stare into mine, almost burning my retinas. "I promise to make you feel better once they're in."

I stare at him. "How?"

His smile turns wicked. "What's better than a warm tongue on a tender nipple?"

I let out an exasperated laugh. "You're hopeless."

"And?" He leans I close, his nose brushing mine.

"And you're crazy." I mirror him, pushing forward until our lips touch.

"And?" His mouth meets mine, doling out soft, tender kisses that make me shiver.

"And you owe me for this," I whisper against his mouth.

"Now or after?"

I pause, holding back on my end of the kiss while I think. "Later. It'll take what's left of the edge off."

He halts his delicious kissing and smiles against my lips. "Deal."

He pulls away and reaches over to grab the small box of studs and hoops. He slides it between us, holding it open for me to see our choices.

"Now...what'll it be?"

I stare at the assortment of tiny metal piercings, excited yet totally lost. I don't know which to choose. There are plain metal hoops and studs, barbells with small glass designs on the end, carved bone gauges and an array of small sparkling gemstones that can be attached to anything in the box. There are so many choices I can't decide what to have shoved into me.

A flashback races through my mind: my dream. My nipples pierced with small gold hoops, my belly pierced with a gold barbell. Each has a tiny black gem that dangles from delicate gold chains.

Alright. I guess we'll do that.

"Gold hoops," I whisper.

Lucifer's eyes flick to me. "Following your dream?"

I stare back, slightly stunned but elated. He remembered my dream and knows exactly what I'm planning. That's more than mom has ever done for me.

I nod. "Yeah."

"You know we don't have to follow your dream exactly," he nudges my hand. "You can do this any way you want."

I shake my head. "It kind of feels like that dream meant something, like that's what I'm supposed to have. Like my mind was trying to tell me something. A guarantee or a premonition. And if really that's the case, I'm not in the mood to tempt fate."

He laughs. "Alright then. If that will make you feel better about this, we'll copy your dream. Now, what else was there...Oh, yes! There was a belly piercing."

Damn. Someone's got a good memory.

Lucifer digs around the box and pulls out two small matching hoops and a gold barbell. He holds his hand out and lets me take the. They're cool to the touch and heavy, but nothing that would cause my much discomfort.

He sits back, staring at the box. "We're missing something."

I nod. "Black stones."

He looks ready to smack himself. He sighs and digs through the box again, producing three tiny faceted stones attached to thin gold chains. He places them in my hand and sits back, watching me.

"What?" My voice is shaky, almost nervous.

He glances down at the box. "Choose."

I cock my head in confusion. "Choose what?"

"We had a deal. We pierce each other. You have yours. Pick mine."

Oh boy.

I take a deep breath and stare down at the box, scanning through the endless menagerie of metal pieces. Once again, I'm stuck. What piercing could possibly befit the ruler of Hell? I immediately decide against any gemstones, gauges or pieces that are horrifically girly. My gut tells me he needs something manly, something sturdy and rough. Something that will solidify his status as a male...A male with a nipple piercing.

I scan through the box one last time, and thankfully, my eye catches something worthy of being attached to Lucifer's otherworldly body. It's a thick hoop of black metal, nearly an inch in diameter and covered in small spikes. I reach down and grasp it, holding it gently in my palm. It's heavy, but not so much that he'll be uncomfortable. Swallowing loudly, I look up at Lucifer and hand him my selection.

He cradles it in his palm and smiles at me. "Quite a masculine choice."

I shrug. "I didn't think a barbell with pink glass hearts would fit you."

"Really? I think it would have been a perfect match," he teases.

I smile a little. At least he's in good humor for this. I'd hate to have him coming at me with a nipple ring on a bad day.

"Who wants to go first?" His eyes are alive with excitement.

My gut clenches instinctively. I'm not going first. I'm not sure if I even want to do this.

"Amelia?" He grins viciously.

I shake my head frantically. As much as I appreciate his enthusiasm, I'll respectfully pass on being first.

He nods. "Oh, I think so."

I shake my head again, scooting back an inch.

He sighs, but his smile never fades. "Do I have to pin you down for this?"

Maybe.