39

"Sire

    "Sire. We've brought the queen's new servant as you requested."

New servant?

Lucifer's eyes brighten instantly. "Perfect! Bring her in!" He turns to me, a wicked smile sharpening his features. "I have a gift for you."

I stare at him, confused and curious. "A gift?"

He nods. "Think of it as a wedding present."

I swallow loudly. This can't be good.

There's a commotion outside. I can hear the deep voices of demons mixed with a higher, more fragile voice of a woman. My heart clenches a little. The poor girl. I must be getting a new arrival that has to pay off a debt. I sigh and stand, tossing the sheets aside and turning to stare at the door. Lucifer disappears from my line of sight for a second, then returns carrying a beautifully embroidered black satin robe. I shrug it on quickly, pulling the tie at the waist and knotting it tightly. The last thing I need is one of my newly pierced boobs to pop out while this girl is being hauled in to begin her punishment.

A knock at the door signals that our company has arrived. Lucifer turns to me and smiles, then stares at the door and nods. It swings open of its own accord, revealing two massive demons standing outside. They step in quickly, dragging my new servant behind them. Her head is down and her body covered with filthy rags, hiding her from view. The demons pause a few feet in front of us and shove the woman to the floor. She goes willingly, falling to her hands and knees and hanging her head. Stands of short sandy blond hair fall in front on her face, shielding her from my eyes.

Lucifer nods again. "Stay. She'll need to be escorted to her quarters after she's introduced to the queen."

The demons nod and step back a bit, giving us room to maneuver.

Lucifer steps up to the woman, stopping just inches in front of her hands. "I'd hope you have some idea of why you're here."

The woman nods, her blond hair moving slightly. "Yes."

Lucifer starts to slowly circle the woman. "And why are you here?"

The woman is shaking slightly. "I-I had made a deal with you and backed out at the last minute."

I'm slightly stunned. She sounds much older that I'd expected. I was imagining some nubile teenager who'd sold her soul to become popular, not a middle-aged woman who'd weaseled out on a deal.

My breathing stops. Dirty blond hair. Middle-aged. Backed out of a deal at the last minute.

Oh no.

My stomach completes a double backflip. I'm silently praying that my instincts are horribly wrong and it's simply a woman who looks like my mother. But somewhere deep inside of me, I know my hopes are useless. What I'm looking at is the final product of my mother's endless dealings and manipulations. All those years of using and abusing people have finally caught up to her.

"Lift your head," Lucifer snaps. "Do not be rude to your queen."

The woman nods and slowly raises her head. A woman in her mid-forties with a round face and pin-straight blond hair peers up at me. Thin-lipped and well tanned, her emerald green eyes stare up at me with a mixture of fear and apology.

I take a long, slow breath, exhaling loudly. My mother, the woman who had tried and failed to raise me for nineteen years, has become my personal servant. Our roles have been reversed, with me now being completely in charge and her being subservient to me. Dear God, how do I handle this?

It's ironic, really. She spends all her life dreaming of becoming a part of royalty - even selling her soul and bartering off her daughter to attain that dream -- only to end up serving under a queen. Karma can be a real a bitch sometimes, but I never question her.

I take another slow breath. All the years of anger and rebellion begin to bubble to the surface, making my new position all the more perilous. She's done so much harm to so many people that I'm fairly justified in smacking her around as much as I want. Besides, I'm queen. No one would challenge me if I did. In the underworld, it would actually be expected that I did torture her and make her pay.

But none of that is really me. Unlike my mother, I get no satisfaction or personal gain from using or harming others. Unless it was a dire situation where harming her was the only way to save my mother, I could never bring myself to hurt her, no matter how much she deserves it. I shove down all the anger and resentment I feel towards her and let my rational mind step up to the plate instead.

"What happened to Richard?" My voice is soft but fueled with anger. If she's gotten him or my step-brothers hurt, I'll explode.

Relief washes over her face. "He's fine. So are Daniel and Marcus."

I'm relieved, too. At least they're safe. Of out entire family, they came out unscathed and alive. They may have lost a sister and a wife, but they're okay.

"Where are they?" I'm slightly calmer, but no less pissed.

"At home." Her voice is soft, nervous.

I nod, turning away to avoid eye contact. I'm excited to know that the rest of my family is safe, but I'm still pissed at my mother. I'll be honest, I do get a small amount of satisfaction knowing she's finally gotten her comeuppance. It's slightly refreshing to see a person who's done so much damage and been so self-serving have her plans blow up in her face. But, again, I have no desire to shove her around and humiliate her. I'll make damn sure she knows her place below me, but she'll be fed and clothed and treated like a normal person.

I sigh. "Get up."

"