Welcome Home

I Say A Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin

Kay walked around the village with a bag hanging from her shoulder, her hands busy as she read a letter in her hands.
It was from Sasuke, his usually delicate penmanship was a little sloppy. He'd written the letter using his leg as support.
The letter was written out of impulse, Sasuke had seen a litter of black kittens in the woods and had thought of her.
He wished her a happy birthday once again, though he had sent a letter on the day the week before.
She'd turn 19 years old.
Kay folded the letter and put it in her pocket, stopping inside a market to grab groceries. She had a smile on her face as she went in, the lady at the register noticed it too, knew her well already.
Kay walked by the aisles with some of the words written in the letter repeating in her mind.
"It becomes more and more difficult to be away, I might have to give in and come back soon." Sasuke had written, "I can only hope you're still waiting for me, I love you."
He had ended quite sweetly, the blush still was apparent on Kay's cheeks. "Your 'Suki', Uchiha Sasuke."
Kay sighed as she picked out fruit and put it inside her bag.
Someone far down the isle turned to her.
"Killmonger, right?"
Kay turned up, startled, she was sure she'd seen the girl before but she wasn't sure what her name was.
"Yes, you're... Sakura's friend right?" She asked.
The blonde nodded, "Ino."
"Right." Kay nodded back.
It felt like she should've known her but she wasn't really invested into making friends as she surely should've had.
She had Kakashi and Naruto, sometimes by default it included Yamato and Iruka but everyone else who were her age were unknown unless she was in the room while Kakashi gave out missions.
That reminded her that she had been Shikamaru's teammate.
"How's Shikamaru?" She asked, trying to pretend she was a little more sociable than she was.
Ino smiled at her, "he's great, he's still lazy and all."
Kay nodded, taking some peaches.
"Have you heard from Sasuke-kun?" Ino asked.
Kay didn't like the way she said his name.
"Yes, I just got a letter from him actually. He's great, I intend to write back as soon as I get my errands done, I'll tell him you said hi."
Ino sighed, dramatically pouting, "I still can't believe we got him back just for him to leave us again."
Kay smiled small, "yeah."
"Tell me something." Ino whispered as she walked around the display of fruits to get closer to Kay.
"How'd you do it?" Ino asked.
Kay took a step back, she'd come too close. "Do what?"
"You know," Ino giggled, "get Uchiha Sasuke to fall in love with you."
"Oh." Kay laughed, "I don't know."
Ino pouted again, "you're so lucky, he's such a catch."
Kay agreed.
"There's this boy," Ino confided, "I think he might like me but he's a little hard to read."
Kay nodded, finally understanding why Ino was talking to her, she wanted advice.
She reminded her a little of Karin which is why she decided to help her. "Are you busy? We could talk over some tea."
Ino lit up, "I'd love that!"
When they were done paying for their groceries, they walked down to a little tea shop, a place Sasuke had told Kay before he left was Itachi's favorite.
When they sat done they talked on for hours, Kay explained how the dynamics were between Sasuke and her when they had first met but reminded her they had only been kids then.
Kay encouraged a more upfront approach, if the guy Ino was interested in was already a friend and he was at least slightly interested, there would be no problem with her asking him on a date.
Ino was grateful for the advice, had not thought Kay would've been as helpful. She had had an image in her head of her, a little more uptight and a little more arrogant and rude.
Kay left and felt a little more accomplished for the day, she pulled out the keys to her apartment when she had a feeling creep up on her.
It felt sharp now that she'd been long without feeling it. Her senses were alert as she put the keys away, her palms moistening as she opened the unlocked door.
The knob dripped in water.
When the door opened the sunset hit Sasuke's face as he sat on their living room couch.
He looked up from the book he had left behind the day he had left, a smile breaking through.
Kay threw the bag of groceries hanging from her shoulder to the side and ran to him.
He caught her midway.
"What are you doing here?" She gasped, too shocked to even cry.
Sasuke didn't say anything, instead he held her in the hug longer than usual.
His face buried in her hair, smelling the scent of it, now longer than before. His left hand went to reach for her neck and the warmth of her face made him feel weak in the knees.
"Kay." He breathed out as he broke the hug to look at her face. Sasuke's left hand rested on her cheek, "you look beautiful."
Kay's face rosed up.
"What are you doing here?" Kay asked again, her hands on his chest.
"I told you, I missed you."
Kay laughed but then turned around, the door was still wide open.
She went to close it, picking up the oranges and peaches she had thrown to the ground and placed them on the dinner table.
"Have you been waiting for me long?"
"Not too long." He shook his head.
Kay laughed short, still flustered. "I'm sorry, I was getting groceries and I got caught up with Ino and we went to the tea shop and-"
"Ino?" Sasuke asked.
"Yeah, she says hi."
Sasuke hummed, looking her over, "you dress different."
Kay nodded, "I stopped fitting into my old clothes, now I wear this."
Sasuke ran his hand through her collarbones and shoulder, the off the shoulder shirt exposed them, he liked the way she looked.
She leaned up to meet his lips but he cut the kiss short, "I need to take a shower." He claimed.
"Oh, alright." Kay said, stepping back.
He smiled at her, "I'll be back soon."
Kay nodded, "are you hungry? I'll make something to eat."
"I'd love that."
Sasuke walked away, going into the shower and leaving her once again alone in the living room.
She was much too surprised to react the way she thought she should.
She went into the kitchen and turned on the stove, putting a skillet on it.
She wasn't sure what she was going to make but she pulled out what she had in the bag she'd come in with and started cooking, adding a bowl full of cut-up fruit on the dining table.
Sasuke came back out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist.
He took a piece of the fruit, watching her.
Kay felt his eyes on her but didn't ask him anything.
It felt right just for a minute to do her usual routine but to have him in there.
"Kay," Sasuke said, "I want you to come with me."
She looked up at him as she placed the food on the table.
"What?" She asked.
"I want you to come with me, to travel with me."
Kay sat down and stared at him, confused, "so you're not here to stay?"
Sasuke sighed, "is that a no?"
Kay shook her head, "no, its not a no, I just want to know if you've come back to stay."
Sasuke deliberated his answer, taking a bite of his food before he spoke again.
"If that's really what you want, I'll stay. You know I'd do anything if you asked."
Kay smiled.
"But, I want you to come with me instead, if you accept. I want you to come see what I've seen. You and me, Kay."
"What have you seen?" Kay asked.
"A peaceful world?" Sasuke said, rambling on, Kay had never seen him ramble in fascination like that. "Before, I never saw the world this way, I would think about all the evil things- all the bad things- that would happen all around us. I had no sight for anything beautiful but you, you were it. Now I see it all, Kay, I see innocence and beauty. I want you to see it with me."
Kay stared at him, the temptation to say yes too great but it didn't seem right.
Kakashi needed her in the office and it didn't seem fair for her to just go up to him and tell Kakashi she was leaving him to do such a hard job because he boyfriend asked her to.
If it was her newly-wed husband, though, it seemed fair.
Kay felt her face heat up but she didn't say anything. Sasuke noticed it but decided to keep quiet as well.
"Let me think about it, I'd like to just enjoy you for a couple of days."
Sasuke nodded, "that sounds great."
After dinner, Sasuke and her laid on the couch in their favorite position, Sasuke laid his head on Kay's stomach.
Kay's hands ran through his now longer hair, "why do you have your hair so long?"
He looked up at her, she still wasn't used to seeing the Rinnegan. Sasuke noticed the way she flinched and didn't feel the need to explain.
"Oh." She whispered.
"Why'd you let yours grow so much?" He asked, her hair was always long but the usually tight curls were starting to stretch out in their weight.
"I heard there was a rumor that you liked girl with long hair, I thought I'd look more appealing this way."
Sasuke laughed at the joke.
Kay felt her body warm up at the sound of his laughter.
Her hands traced the muscles on his chest and he threw his head back so she could traced his jawline.
A soft sigh escaped his lips, his forehead furrowed as he did so.
"I've missed you so much." He told her.
She put her hands on his face removing the hair away and kissed his forehead then his lips, words threatening to come out of her mouth.
She failed to keep them back, "marry me."
Sasuke blinked up at her.
He didn't say anything so she said it again. "Sasuke, marry me. I'll go with you if you marry me."
His smiled grew slow, "that was a stupid thing to ask for exchange."
"What?" She asked.
"That's what I came here to do, Kay."
She rolled her eyes, "I wasn't giving you an ultimatum."
"Lets do it, then. This week. We can invite whoever you want and just do it by the end of the week." He stated, taking her left hand and kissing the engagement ring she had bought herself.
"Really?" She asked.
"Yes, lets just do it. Why wait longer? You've been waiting to get married for the past- what?- ten years?"
Kay laughed, nodding. "I've waited too long for you."
"It's time you stop waiting, Mrs. Uchiha."