Beginning of Lasting Relationship

Anthony's POV

It was not easy at all to sit beside Osaka while Ben and Aspen had the encounter they really needed. Aspen must have told him everything and I was not going to deny that even though I didn't participate in the bullying of Aspen by Ben, but I was an eyewitness to it and didn't do anything about it. I knew Osaka would hate me for it. I had seen how attached the two had become. Their relationship was like glue that stuck them to one another no matter the time and the occassion. I wanted to tell the truth, so at least he would know where I stood.

Osaka remained quiet. So, I decided to make a move first.

"Osaka, I know how protective you are of Aspen. I have seen the two of you around, I must tell you the truth that I haven't seen a relationship that is closer and more intimate than that  of yours. At least at school. What I am trying to say is, I know what you must feel with the bullying of Aspen by Ben. How you must feel about me, as I was there almost every time it happened."

"So, you know how I must feel. You know I hated your guts. How could you have stood and let Ben do those things to Aspen. Are you a human being or a brute? You know what the bullying did to him? I know I wasn't there for him. But he did let his heart out in the days we have become friends. The damage was extensive - mentally and physically. How can I not hate you for it? Only when Ben told Aspen that you were the one who encouraged him to settle whatever it was that had gotten inbetween those two, that I felt a little more relief. I just didn't want to hate you, you know, but you gave us all the reasons to hate you!"

"Well, Osaka, you have a right to be angry and to hate me. I would do the same to myself if I were you. I cannot go back and undo those things that I allowed him to do to Aspen, but never did I not have a moment that I didn't regret it. Would you like to know my side of the story?"

"Whatever. I don't think it will change anything. But if you want to tell your story, I will surely listen; we have nothing to do anyway while waiting for them and I dont' know how long it will take."

"There are things I will tell you for the sake of clarity and understanding. There are things I cannot. It is for Ben to tell the story himself." Anthony sighed before continuing.

"Well, I became acquainted with him during a summer camp, I think a couple of weeks after the accident between them two happened. He was my tent mate and there were only two of us sharing the tent. I liked him right away. He was kind. He was friendly. He was very attentive. His overall personality was I would say very alluring for one who first knows him to want to get to know more about him. He didn't withhold anything for caring for someone who was close to him, even there was something about him that I could actually sense. Behind that facade, behind the laughter and the smile, I sensed he was going through something really heavy. Whatever it was. In the first seven days, while getting more friendly with each other, I tried to fish it out of him, but he wouldn't let me.

Until one day, I think the seventh day of camp. He was in the shower outside and just prior to taking a shower we were discussing about getting ice cream and desserts after lunch. I didn't have money, so while in the shower he told me to get the money from his wallet. So, I rummaged through his backpack looking for the wallet. And inside I found a piece of paper that would forever changed our relationship to become closer as it is today. The piece of paper had a short note, it was addressed to someone named Aspen. The note said 'Dear Aspen, if something ever happens to me, I want to know how terribly sorry I am for what I have put you through. I want to tell you everything, but I know it's too late already. So, I hope this note says it all – I LOVE YOU.'