Chapter Eighteen: Ashlynn Ella

Ashlynn hit the snooze button on her alarm clock. She didn't know what time it was, or how many times she hit the button to stop her alarm from blaring.

She lay on her bed awake for a few minutes before sitting up. A tray of biscuits and coffee was placed by her bedside and an envelope was left on the silver platter.

Ashlynn yawned and stretched her arms before taking a shower and getting dressed. She picked a light blue top, and a floral patterned skirt. She added a gold necklace, and a friendship bracelet to the outfit.

Ashlynn sat on her bed as the events of last night came flooding back to her.

After Prince Bane had left, the royal family of Charmindale had a chat. Ashlynn's mother, Cinderella, wasn't exactly pleased by the other set of parents manners and the way they talked. Ashlynn's father however, said that he had never met a funnier king then Bane's father. This displeased Cinderella even more.

Although, Ashlynn's mother was happy to hear that Ashlynn acted in the perfect manner. Of course Ashlynn didn't tell her that she dropped the royally accepted terms, and continued with the modern slang that she was used to. She also did not bother to say that Prince Banilace was as unroyally fit in her mother's eyes, as a prince can be. But nonetheless, her mother was happy with her performance, and so was Ashlynn.

Finally, Ashlynn was dismissed to her room after a very controversial conversation. Her mother not hexactly in favor of the royal family, and her father highly pleased by their guests.

Ashlynn went to her room, got undressed, took a long hot shower, and went to bed. But she couldn't fall asleep for a while. Her head was a tornado of thoughts, whirling around at an incredible speed.

She thought about the words that Bane had spoken, and the truth that he told. But mostly, she thought about the class system pyramid Bane had shown her.

The pyramid, unfortunately, made a lot of sense. Each level wanted to be the level above them. But for some odd reason, she, and many others wanted to be the level below her. She never realized what regular princes and princesses thought of the fairytale world. She never could have imagined they wanted to be a fairytale character. But they do, and that's what made so much sense.

The pyramid couldn't work if the top level was in the middle. It would be unbalanced and everything would fall into chaos.

Maybe Headmaster Grimm was right after all, Ashlynn thought, no that's silly. But is it?

Ashlynn shook her head and sighed. It was all so complicated, and too confusing to think about.

Finally, Ashlynn rose from her bed. She ate a biscuit and took a sip of her coffee. She walked downstairs, completely ignoring the cream colored envelope. She assumed it would only make this more complex then they already were.

She headed to the parlor, no one was there. She checked the dining hall where maids and servants were preparing for a gala in two days time.

Ashlynn continued her stroll around the castle. She was in no particular hurry to do anything important.

It was finally lunch time before Ashlynn had found anyone particularly interesting to talk to.

Her father was calmly walking through the hall of previous kings. Grand pictures of unsmiling young men lined the walls, that filled this entire corridor. Each was in its own gold frame, with a plaque below it, stating their name, and the years that they lived.

Ashlynn had found this hall quite boring as the men's faces showed. All the paintings were of handsome men. Each with the boring expression as the one before, as if the had signed a contract stating that they weren't allowed lift their lips above their earlobes as to not create crevasses called dimples.

Ashlynn found this quite absurd, as she was fairly sure they did not frown all the time. But then, Ashlynn remembered that there was no mirror net all the way back then, and she finally understood why they were so grumpy. (What modern technology does to people.)

"Father!" Ashlynn called with a gleaming smile upon her face.

"Not now Ash," King Charming said through a harsh tone, "I'm busy."

Ashlynn's smile faded, "alright." she turned to leave.

"I'm sorry," King Charming called after his daughter, "but right now isn't a good time." Ashlynn didn't face him again, but she continued to her room.

The envelope was still there. The tray with biscuits and cold tea had been whisked away.

Ashlynn took the envelope in her hand. It was light as a feather, and sealed with red wax. She carefully pealed the wax away, and unfolded a neat hand written letter addressed to her.

Dear Ashlynn,

We need your help.

Those words sounded quiet desperate. She read on.

The woods are falling and you can help grow it back.

What did that mean?

Your story and countless others are in jeopardy,

Jeopardy? That sounded an awful lot like Headmaster Grimm.

and you and your friends are the only ones who can help.

Okay... What?

Find the crossroad between the enchanted and dark forests. Further instructions will be given.

Further instructions?

Ashlynn's head was a buzz of thoughts. She read the signature.

~ESW

P. S. We'll be out for a while, pack accordingly

ESW wasn't a name, so it had to be initials, Ashlynn decided.

Ashlynn put the note aside. It was probably some prank someone was pulling on her. But the words honestly sounded desperate.

Ashlynn couldn't believe she was doing this. She packed a suitcase filled with five pairs of clothes, shoes, and everything else you would need when you go away.

It took her two hours before actually leaving the palace, telling her parents she was staying at Briar's house.

Was she scared? Kind of. Did she trust the note? Kind of. Did she know what she was getting herself into? No.

•••
And that concludes the Ashlynn chapters! Do you think Ashlynn should trust the note? Tell me in the comments section below. Please vote and tell me what you think!

-Isabelle