Chapter Twenty Four: Briar Beauty

Briar left Apple with her father after an awkward situation. She ventured to her own magenta pink castle to find it was similar to Apple's but only small details were changed. Such as, most of it was covered in roses.

Briar left her castle with not much interest in it. She did catch a glimpse of what may have been a pink storybook of legends but she didn't stay long enough to find out. She headed towards Ashlynn's light blue castle to find her playing outside.

Little critters surrounded Ashlynn on the green grass as she gave each one a pat on the head. She fed them little nibbles of snacks as she passed them around smiling.

"Hey Ashlynn," Briar waved at the entrance of the property.

"Hey," Ashlynn motioned for Briar to join her.

Briar sat down next to her friend. She was startled when a white rabbit pawed at her knees. Briar laughed and stroked the bunny's fur.

"So, how'd you meet these little guys?" Briar asked as she let the bunny hug her arm.

"They all just came running up to me when I came," Ashlynn shrugged.

Briar smiler, "I'm glad you've found some friends to play with."

"Yeah," Ashlynn agreed.

Silence stayed in the air as both girls let the joy of the moment seep in.

Finally, Ashlynn piped up, "So how's Apple? I saw you guys kind of leave the group."

Briar nodded, "she's okay I guess. It's just been a really big shock."

Ashlynn nodded while petting a blue bird. Silence overwhelmed the pair as they played with their furry friends. Briar stroked the white bunny at her knees and relieved all stressful thoughts.

Briar looked up at the gleaming blue castle before her. "Have you been inside yet?" Briar asked.

Ashlynn shook her head, "I don't want to live like snobby royalty," she explained with a shrug.

"Do you think we we should check it out?"

Ashlynn shrugged and continued to play with the blue bird.

After a while, Ashlynn also looked at the castle and decided their was no more prolonging it. "Let's see what we're dealing with," she told Briar and started for the castle.

Briar brushes her skirt off and followed quickly behind Ashlynn. They treaded carefully on the stone stairs and opened the massive gold handled doors.

The entry way was similar to any regular castle. It's grand staircase gleamed like a turquoise waterfall cascading from the level above. The blue tiled floor resembled crystals in Briars mind, as the openness led to a feeling of freedom.

Balcony's protruded from the side walls to stare at this magnificent display of colors. The wall were bright blue with navy spirals and swirls decorating its sheerness.

Briar sailed it all in as Ashlynn ventured to the wall at the right.

"What is it?" Briar asked as she approached her unhappy friend, "are you all right?"

Ashlynn shook her head and pointed. Her finger landed on a blue book decorated in sapphire stones. It was bond by a silver thread connecting each page.

Briar's heart sank. What was it doing here? She looked again at the signature mirror gleaming in the center of the cover.

"Why in the world..." Ashlynn trailed off before finishing her thought, but Briar already knew the ending.

"It was in Apple's castle," Briar remembered, "and mine."

"Maybe it's different from the original," Ashlynn agreed as her hopes perked up.

"Do you want to open it?" Briar suggested.

Ashlynn nodded eagerly and flipped open the top flap. She flipped through the pages rather fast, eager to see what was on the next one. All Briar could see were blurs of pictures and words.

Ashlynn closed the other side of the book. "It's the story of Cinderella," she said rather confused.

"That's it?"

Just then the grand door to Ashlynn's palace opened as Evelyn pokes her head inside.

"We're meeting as a group at the base in five," she said.

"Base?" Briar questioned.

"The place we were before," Evelyn explained, "I call it the base."

"Oh," Briar nodded.

"And don't forget to bring your books," she added then shut the palace door behind her.

Briar looked at Ashlynn, "let's go hear what this is all about."

•••
Yay Chapter 24! Well I have to apologize for this really boring chapter. Unfortunately I recognize that my writing is starting to get sloppy, so I'm really trying to fix it but... hopefully it will be better soon. Anyways, please vote and comment it really makes my day a while lot brighter!

-Isabelle