Chapter Thirty Two

Anthony made his way up from the bottom of the street, to the Governor's house. It was almost past curfew, so he had to make it quick. He had to thank the Governor for what he did. First saving his life at the highway, then promoting him to wall duty. As Anthony climbed the stairs to his apartment, it was quiet. The building had another family in it, the Samuels, but that was it. As Anthony reached the top of the stairs, he looked down to the end of the hallway to see a girl, brunette, leaning out of a back window with smoke rising from her mouth, cigarette clenched to her teeth. She could hear Anthony coming, so she quickly turned around, putting her cigarette out.

"Who are you?" She asked, as she was always tending to be on watch, never seeing or socializing much with people who weren't on wall duty.

"Anthony," he said, figuring he could trust her. "And you?"

"Savannah," she said, smiling.

Anthony could smell the tobacco smoke on her. "Governor home?"

"At this time? Always is," she said while looking at her. "What do you need anyways? He doesn't like to be bothered at this time,"

"Didn't know you were his secretary." Anthony retorted, looking at the brunette. 

She scoffed a bit, looking at him. "Didn't know you were going to give him a late night blow," she said, rolling her eyes, putting her hand on her apartment door. "Whatever, I've got to go."

She then slipped back into her apartment, leaving Anthony to knock on the door.

"Fucking bitch," Anthony muttered to himself. She was beautiful, but she was stubborn, he thought.

Anthony then made a couple distinctive knocks on the Governor's door. He heard something stir inside, rushing almost. A door shut, and then.. the door in front of him opened.

"Anthony," the Governor spoke quietly. "Please, come in."

Anthony walked in after, sighing. He looked down, knowing that he was probably interrupting something.

"I just came to thank you," Anthony said as he looked up at the Governor. He was tall, for sure, and it was a bit intimidating. "For the thing you did on the highway, and for promoting me."

The Governor gave him a small smile. "It's no problem," he said as he closed the door. "I would've done it for anyone."

"This place, I was skeptical at first. But you're the real shit." Anthony said as he looked around the apartment, still curious as to what was going on before he knocked.

The Governor walked to the small kitchen, and opened the fridge, taking out a can of cola.

"We try the best we can to provide a life," he said as he took down two glasses from the cupboard.

Anthony shook his head. "No thanks, I can't stay long." He said as he knew that curfew was almost there, and he had to go to sleep early because of the new promotion.

The Governor nodded at him before putting the can of cola back into the fridge, getting out a bottle of whiskey. His favorite. 

"Your dad let you drink?" The Govenor asked, as he wanted more information about Anthony, still.

Anthony shook his head, remembering his family. They were dead, according to him. "No," he sighed. "He was a cop, so strict rules."

"Not even in a world like this, huh?" The Governor sighed, pouring the drink into the glass.

He shook his head, "No, my dad let me drink at the CDC. I regretted it.."

"Right, a young man such as yourself shouldn't be drinking anyways." the Governor sighed, taking his glass. "Well Anthony, if that's all, I hope you don't mind leaving. I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow."