Chapter Forty Four

The cellblock was quiet for the most part, with Hershel waking up. He could hear Lori up in the other row of cells, and he knew immediately what was going on. He was too weak to go and help, and he felt awful about that. He was supposed to help Lori give birth. He taught Carol and Heather, along with Ellen to help just in worse case scenario such as this. 

Up in the other cells, Lori sat on the bunk groaning in pain.

"I have to push more," Lori breathed heavily as she held onto Heather's hand. Heather nodded quickly before checking on Lori's legs.

She nodded. "Push.."

Lori took a deep breath, before quickly pushing. Heather saw the her begin to crown, as she mumbled to Lori that she was doing fine. Heather watched the baby slowly exit her uterus, smiling as it did so. She grabbed the cloth that was on the shelf next to her, before taking the baby. It took a second before the baby began to cry, as it began to echo throughout the cellblock.

"She's beautiful, Lori." Heather said with a smile, before looking over to Lori who was still in intense pain. Heather frowned, before beginning to rock the baby in her arms. "Lori?"

Lori groaned out in more pain, before seeing Lori scream out in pain and blood beginning to pour onto the sheets. Heather shouted, fearing that Lori would've lost too much blood already.

"Help! Lori's in trouble!" Heather shouted, "Bring me the key! I need the damn key!"

Ethan jumped to help, running down block before quickly starting to search for the correct key. Once found, he dropped the key, muttering a curse to himself. He picked it up, before quickly running to the stairs. He climbed them as fast as he could, not wanting to waste any time. He quickly ran to the cell, jiggling the key into the lock, unlocking the cell before pushing the bars to the side.

"Oh my god," Exclaimed Ethan as he saw the blood that was on the sheets. "What happened?"

Adam, Matt, and Darrion were all behind Ethan, ready to help. Their eyes were all wide with how much blood Lori had lost.

"I think her uterine wall burst or tore," Heather said quickly before handing the baby to Adam, needing Ethan's help. "Give the baby to Carol, please,"

Adam quickly nodded, looking at the child. He moved past Matt, and Darrion before moving down the stairs to get to Carol's cell.

"Lori can you hear me?" Heather asked quietly, looking at her with a curious face. 

Lori wasn't making anymore noise, nor moving. "Lori, if you can hear me, please.." Heather asked as she reached for Lori's wrist to check for a pulse of any sort. 

"Mom!" Ethan shouted, tears beginning to form in his eyes. Just earlier he had yelled at his mom, and that was most likely the last memory she had of him. That wasn't what Ethan wanted. Not at all.

"Ethan, is Rick back?" Heather asked softly, fearing that Lori died as she didn't feel any pulse.

Ethan was silent, shaking his head. "N-No." 

"Oh god, okay.." Heather said softly, sighing after she finished. "How's Hershel doing?"

Matt stepped into the cell, but Heather was hesitant, not knowing the boy. "He's awake."

Heather nodded, taking his word for it. "Please go get the cuffs and bring them to me."

Matt nodded slowly, before stepping out of the cell and going down the stairs.

Down in the lower half of the cell block, Carol had unlocked the door. She held Lori's baby, rocking it back and forth as she listened to the conversation upstairs, giving Adam the order to take the cuffs off of Hershel. Adam had to fight back the tears, as Lori was always like a mom to him. Him and Anthony always looked at her like a mom. Though she wasn't really, she was in some way.