Chapter Forty Eight

It was morning when the group finally regathered themselves. Everyone had made it out safely, as Brittany and Scott, along with Taylor and Ethan, had spent the night in the vehicles. It was safe inside of them, as walkers weren't around them. The morning doves were playing their melody as Rick got into the driver's seat. Ellen, beyond exhausted, collapsed into the passenger's seat. Scott and Brittany sat in the back, as Adam had sat in the middle, about ready to fall asleep.

As Rick and Adam walked back to the cars, it was quite dark. Not much could be seen, and Adam held his gun close, just in case any walkers were in the dark. 

"Rick," Adam spoke quietly, continuing to walk. 

He looked over to Adam's silhouette, ready to listen. Adam saw his movement in the darkness, knowing he was listening.

"Mikaela's in Woodbury. I saw her. I talked to her, and she's there." Adam spoke quickly, unsure of how Rick would react.

Rick paused, stopping. "What?"

"She's there. I had to leave her because I was getting shot at." Adam said, feeling disappointed in himself for leaving Mikaela behind. "We can go back, I mean,"

Rick took a deep breath. He wanted to go back, just to get her. He needed to save her. 

"Andrea's there too. She kept Mikaela safe all winter, and they found Woodbury, I guess." Adam said, continuing to walk. 

Rick turned back to face the direction that Woodbury was in, before turning around and walking with confidence to the car. Adam just followed. Ellen, and the others weren't far ahead.

In Woodbury, Andrea sat in the infirmary, watching Jese help Doctor Stevens with repairing the Governor's eye socket. She dabbed a swab in alcohol, looking at the wound. It had stopped bleeding, after hours of slowly bleeding. The eye was removed, as it was useless. Doctor Stevens had put it in a jar, unsure of what to do with it. Andrea sat, looking at The Governor with curiousity. 

"What was she doing here?" Andrea asked, confused. 

Jese walked over, handing The Governor some pain killers.

"I don't know." The Governor mumbled.

His daughter was dead. That's all he cared about. There was no way Milton could revive her, or stop the sickness. He didn't want to lead the town, or deal with anything. He knew he would have to address the town; or what was left of it. Doctor Stevens had earlier given him a report of twenty two people dead. That was almost half the town, however, it was most of the children. And that was a problem. Woodbury needed a future, and with the population growing older, it was getting to be impossible.

Alyssa walked in, looking at Stevens.

"I need a bandage for Martinez and Shumpert's wounds. I got the bleeding to stop, thank god, but I don't know how much longer it'll stay put." She sighed, leaning against the doorway. A

Andrea looked over, sighing. "I have to go check on Mikaela. Anthony put her on wall duty, right?"

The Governor shrugged. Andrea rolled her eyes, before walking out of the infirmary.

Mikaela sat perched up on the wall, sitting in her chair, half asleep. Gun in her hand, with ammo beside her, she could hear Andrea's footsteps. She knew it was her, just by the way she walked.

"Andrea," Mikaela said, getting up quickly and shaking off any sleepiness she had. "I was just--"

"I know. On watch," She said, climbing the ladder. She sat down in the chair; more like collapsed, and sighed.  "I haven't slept in so long."