Chapter Forty Two

The cell block was quiet as Carol and Lori tended to Hershel. Heather stayed close, monitoring him. Rick walked back to where Hershel was. Glenn was standing on the outside of the cell, Maggie inside. Ellen stayed on the outside too, looking at Rick.

"Hey, he's hangin' in. That's a good thing." Ellen said, nodding to Rick. "He's been though a lot, and I'm surprised he's still holding on."

Rick was silent. He just nodded. Hershel was like a father to him. He never thought this would happen. The walker that bit him was on the ground, and appeared to be dead. But, did these walkers sleep? Rick didn't know. All he knew was.. his father was bit. He walked in, leaning down as Lori and Carol made room for him. The cell was tight quarters. Rick reached for Hershel's hand, taking it. He gave it a squeeze, almost a squeeze of hope. 

"Take my cuffs, and put them on his arm." Rick said, not knowing if he'd wake up as a walker.

Ellen nodded, before walking out of the cell, to Rick's.

"Where are those prisoners?" Lori asked softly, as she had heard the whole conversation.

Rick sighed. "We need to talk."

Lori nodded, standing. She gripped the bunk bed to help her up, as her stomach was almost about to pop, it seemed. She was almost ready to give birth, and Rick knew. He needed to get Hershel to full health, for that. The two stepped out into the cell block's open space. 

"Those prisoner's," Rick said, looking down. "We're gonna clear out a cell block for them to live in."

Lori nodded. "Do they have guns?" She asked softly, looking at Rick.

Rick shrugged. "I only saw one." He looked back into Lori's eyes. "I don't know if it's gonna work."

"Well," Lori shrugged. "What are your options?"

"Kill them." Rick said in a low voice, not wanting anyone to hear him. 

He was right, maybe it'd be better to just kill them. It'd make things a lot easier for the group. They wouldn't have any threats than the walkers that covered the prison outside and in the other cell blocks, if there were any. 

"If that's what you think is best." Lori said, looking down.

Rick sighed heavily. "You say.. you say that now. But you mean something else the next minute," Rick said, recalling back to when he killed Shane. He admitted that he actually wanted to kill Shane after. Hell, he was surprised Adam had forgave him for that, and Taylor and everyone else. And Nick, too. Rick regretted pulling the trigger on him. It was the wrong decision. The world needed people like Nick.

"Look, I know I'm a shitty wife, and I'm not winning any mother of the year awards," Lori started, shaking her head slowly, eyes closed. "But I need you to know that not for one second do I think there is an ounce of malice in your heart."

Rick nodded slowly. She was right. He didn't want to kill, but he had to.

"I know you're not a killer." Lori said reassuringly.

"And I know that, so," Rick began.

"So do whatever you gotta do to keep this group safe. And do it with a clear conscience." 

Rick nodded slowly. He gave her a nod for herself, and walked away. Adam, Taylor and Scott all walked into the cell block, ready to go to the cafeteria so they could get food. The deal was that Rick's group would get half of everything. And it was reasonable.

In Woodbury, Andrea and Michonne were back in the room, and Mikaela had just gotten up. Ariel had gone for a walk with Shumpert, and man that had watched the three carefully as they walked. Andrea had taken a plate of food for her, and she ate in the bed. MIkaela was grateful for the food, and grateful that Andrea saved her some.