Chapter Forty

The room was quiet as he spoke, as everyone's attention was focused on him. A simple 'hello', had made everyone look at him. What charisma. Michonne still wasn't pleased.

"How are you all feeling?" The Governor asked, looking at the women.

Michonne stood up, fierce eyes jabbing the Governor. "We want our weapons."

"Sure," The Governor agreed, looking at her, taking a step toward her. "On your way out the front gates."

"Show us the way." Andrea said defensively. 

"You've kept us locked up in here. We want out." Mikaela said, standing up now.

The Governor rose an eyebrow. He was confused in these natures of people, yet used to them.

"You see any bars on the windows? You're being cared for." The Governor said defensively.

Ariel rolled her eyes. "Under guard.

"To protect our people. We don't know you." The Governor explained.

Mikaela peered her eyes at the man. "We know enough about this place to want out. We saw you drive a knife into the skulls of two dead men, what the hell was that?" 

The man sighed, looking at Anthony. Anthony shook his head, sighing as well. 

"Doesn't matter. However we die.. we all turn." The Governor said, looking at Mikaela.

Mikaela's eyes widened, looking at Andrea, who had the same look as her. Michonne and Ariel had the same, shocked look.

"I put them out of their misery." The Governor said with a small smile. "It's not easy news to swallow at first, but there it is. You're not prisoners here, you're guests."

Andrea looked down, swallowing. The medication was definitely taking effect. Everyone began to feel better slowly, at their own paces. 

"But if you wanna leave, as I said, you're free to do so. But we don't open the gates past dusk. Draws too much attention." The Governor said softly, looking at the women. He focused on Andrea. "And you especially, you need a solid night's sleep. You wouldn't last another day out there in your condition."

The Governor sighed, looking at the women. 

"Have you brought over to my place in the morning. Return your weapons. Extra ammo, food for the road, some meds, keys to a vehicle if you want one. Send you on your way. No hard feelings." He continued to speak as the women gave it some real thought.

He then proceeded to signal the women to follow him. Ariel got up from her seat, following the others out to the front door, as the Governor slowly opened the door, opening a new world, it seemed. The streets were lit, by fire, buildings kept cleanly. The, what seemed to be, town was real and clean. 

"Welcome to Woodbury." The Governor said, standing outside as Andrea walked out first, followed by Mikaela.

Mikaela's eyes were fascinated, same as the others; except Michonne. Michonne was not pleased at all. 

The Governor walked down the stairs, Andrea following shortly behind. The others were behind her, as Anthony had joined them. The Governor walked the girls to the wall, as Andrea looked around, seeing the guns.

"Are you military?" Andrea asked softly, astounded.

The Governor shook his head. "Hardly. Some are vets, but by and large we're self trained."

"That's heavy artilery they're packing." Ariel observed, looking toward the Governor after.

"Some men arrive with guns, but most were scavenged over time." The Governor explained, small smile on his lips as he looked at Ariel.