Chapter 6 - Being With You

Riya faced Shuichi with a serious expression etched on her face. Indeed, she was surprised to hear him somehow plead for her to talk to him. And she knew it was unlikely him at all judging from what she had observed since the day she transferred to Hanasakura Academy. But that's not what surprised her so much.

When she faced Shuichi, she felt her heart constrict and melt at the same time when she saw him pleading to her... with the use of his eyes. Seriously, he knew how to do that. It was unexpected for her to see that. And somehow, that made her heart agree to his pleading.

"Sure. But... can we talk someplace else? I'm not comfortable here whenever I talk to you," she said in a soft and gentle tone.

She saw him show a smile after he heaved a sigh of relief. She couldn't help but smile, as well due to that gesture. He was like a kid at some point but she couldn't pinpoint what part of him was almost child-like.

In any case, they left the classroom together. They were greeted by Miss Ryuuzaki along the way and from what she could see in the teacher's eyes, there was a teasing glint on them. Though she knew what it meant, she chose to let it be. Misunderstanding will probably clear up soon. Besides, it's a teacher. And from what she had observed, Miss Ryuuzaki wasn't the type of person who would spread some unnecessary rumors.

When they finally got out of the building, Shuichi broke the deafening silence between them.

"I'm sorry I asked you something foolish," he said, without looking at her. "I guess I'm starting to hate those people who treated you differently. It won't make you feel better, I somehow knew that. But I want to talk to you, to clear up some things with you."

All she could do at the moment was to smile and then she sighed.

"Why are you saying this to me?"

"I just... want to say it," he simply answered. And then he faced her. "I heard from one of our schoolmates that you were asked to become the soccer team's manager. And they also said that you accepted it."

"Yeah, I did. Somehow, it made me realize that not all people in our school are the same as Kirisawa-san and the others. In a way, the guys from the soccer team treated me the same way you treat me since day one. And I started to like them for it."

"That's good," he said, sincerity evident in his voice. "At least you managed to make some friends. I could only hope I could make you my friend and vice versa," he continued in a soft and hopeful tone.

Silence filled the air once again. Both of them continued to walk until they reached a bridge. And then they stopped midway before turning to the side and watching the sunset on the horizon. Even Shuichi was amazed at the breathtaking view in front of them. She smiled as she looked at it.

It was years ago since the last time she felt calm like she has no care about what was going to happen tomorrow. Looking at the lovely and amazingly beautiful sunset with a person whom she wanted to avoid yet was insistent on coming near her—was something beyond what she had expected. It's making her feel calm—something she hasn't felt whenever she was with a guy.

"Why are you so insistent on coming to me and talking to me even though I told you not to unless it's project-related?" she couldn't help asking without looking at him. Her eyes were focused on watching the slowly setting sun.

It took a while for Shuichi to answer the question. But still, she patiently waited for his answer. It's something he has to think over to convince her of his true intentions.

"Will you believe me if I said that—" he paused. "—that I wanted to be near you for me to protect you?"

She frowned and then she looked at him. "P-protect me? From what?"