Final Chapter - As Long As I Have You

Christmas Eve, 11:28 PM...

Most of the hours were spent for the preparation of the Christmas celebration. Of course, most of them helped. But Hiei was missing the entire time. Though most of them didn't find it unusual, Riya was the one who was worried. Half an hour more and Yumi would break the news to him about her pregnancy. Would the Fire Wielder tell the news to him through telepathy? Who knows.

Another thing that worried Riya was Kurama. He left the mansion past 11 because he said he had to do something outside. She agreed since she thought he would return soon. Not that she was thinking something would happen ー which she was thinking was bad or dangerous ー but she couldn't help it if she was worried for him.

"Hey, there's nothing for you to worry about. I heard Kurama's going to stay for a while at the evergreen tree on the private road. He said he's going to do some thinking," Keiko informed which made her frown.

Evergreen tree on the private road? But that's... That's the place where I first met Kurama, she thought.

"You can go there if you want. The gift-giving and the Christmas dinner won't start until midnight. Enjoy a little more time together before you and Kurama get mobbed once you're here," Keiko added with a laugh that made Riya smile.

Riya nodded before heading off. "Thanks, Keiko-chan."

"Sure thing!"

The walk from the mansion to the evergreen tree on the private road was about 10 minutes and the snow started to fall. But Riya didn't mind. When she reached the place, she smiled inwardly after sighing in relief. Kurama was there. He was looking up to the tree, his hand touching the trunk. His eyes were closed but a smile was carved on his face.

I wonder what could he be thinking, she thought as she started walking towards him. At that time, Kurama opened his eyes and faced her direction. He must have sensed her presence.

"You've been here the whole time?" she asked as soon as she stopped in front of him.

"Not really. I came to your grandfather to ask his help about something."

"You know, you and Grandpa became close ever since the family conference. What exactly happened back then? What did you discuss with my grandfather for him to even call the others' presence that time?"

But silence answered her. Kurama wasn't saying anything which surprised and at the same time, worried her.

"Do you really want to know the answer?" he asked seriously that made her frown. She did it out of curiosity and anticipation to hear Kurama's answer.

She nodded in response. Her heart beat louder and faster for some reason. She saw him took a few steps towards her, so now they were a few inches apart. Kurama was looking at her eyes intently and with love that she didn't want to fade forever. She would dread the day something like that disappeared from her life eternally. Soon after, he held her hand and kissed its palm, making her blush but she didn't mind.

"You do know that you're Shoutaro-sama's favorite granddaughter, right?"

Riya gave it a thought before she spoke. "Well, I know Grandpa loves me so much so he have tendencies to be very strict. But how does that answer my question?"

But before she could even react, she saw Kurama took something from his pocket, though she couldn't tell what because his hand enclosed it completely. No, wait! A fabric was hiding the item ー an indigo velvet fabric, to be exact. The color of infinity.

"I came to your grandfather that time since I needed to make sure about my plans for both of us. I told him how much I love you and how far will I go for your sake, for you to be happy as long as you're with me. I can endure every trial that comes my way, Riya. I can become the person that will make you happy and protect your happiness until the end. I know I can do all that... as long as I have you here in my life," Kurama said emotionally before he unwrapped the velvet fabric and it revealed a small indigo box. He held it up in front of her and flipped it open with his free hand.