Chapter 11 - One Chance To Last A Lifetime

The next day after the attack, Koenma decided to have Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Keiko transfer to a different school since the toddler prince figured that the demon shinobi and the wielders would most likely make an appearance at Hanasakura Academy again. Koenma somehow thought that the enemies—although he wasn't sure who to treat as enemies between the wielders and the demon shinobi—were after something—or someone—from that school. Those three would be in a different class from Kurama and Riya but their classrooms were just adjacent to each other. Kurama's classroom was in Class 2-C and Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Keiko's would be in Class 2-D.

As for Hiei, he decided to accompany the Fire Wielder Yumi on a journey in the Demon World for certain reasons. As for Riya, she knew that Yusuke still didn't know yet that she was Kurama's classmate and for two months, she managed to hide it. She later learned from Yukari that Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Keiko transferred to Hanasakura Academy and so she thought that her school year would be even more exciting.

It took full three weeks for Riya to be able to recover but her wounds weren't completely healed which was why she has to use a crutch to move around the apartment. Kurama was the one who helped her with her home-schooling activities, from projects to homework and even notes. And one more week had passed before she returned to school.

Everything went fine after the incident and surprisingly, Ayako started befriending Riya. She knew that Ayako wasn't bluffing about that issue since she could see the sincerity in the brunette's eyes especially when Ayako asked for Riya's forgiveness. And she did...

...but that was after Riya talked to Ayako about the incident that took an unexpected turn. The day she went back to school, on the rooftop, she asked Ayako to meet her there along with Soujiro and Yukari. They knew what Riya wanted to talk about. Kurama still had something to do with the Biology Club and Riya agreed to meet him after that at the school ground. She just needed a reason to distract his attention about the weapons that he and the Spirit Detective were looking for.

Riya could only hope it would work. It was for his sake, anyway.

"It's not that we intend to hide it from you, Riya-sempai," Yukari started.

"I know that. You wanted to protect me in the shadows like what Yumi had intended to do from the start... ever since she discovered she has the Garnet Heart inside of her," Riya replied. And then she looked at the three wielders in front of her. "But I'm not mad about you hiding the fact that you're the Legendary Weapon Wielders. Thank you for saving me that day. I truly appreciate it."

Soujiro managed to smile because of that. "It's our duty, mistress. But what I can't understand is the demon shinobis' reason why they wanted to have the Legendary Weapons so much."

Riya sighed and looked at the setting sun. "Even I don't know the answer to that. But whatever it is, it's something sinister. And we can't afford to lose against them. It's also our duty as wielders to protect the three realms, especially the Human World, from certain destructions even without Koenma's knowledge." Then she looked at Ayako. "But seriously, I'm quite surprised when I found out that you're also a Legendary Weapon Wielder... being the wielder of the Staff of Shimmer, at that..."

"I was surprised, as well. Even so, I guess it's for the best that I became one," Ayako said.

That statement made Riya frown. "What do you mean by that?"

But Ayako only chuckled looking at Riya. "It's better if I keep that for myself."

"Hmm... if you say so."

"You better go after Minamino-kun before he suspects something as to why you're here," Ayako said, making Riya slightly surprised. And somehow, the brunette knew the reason why. "It's okay. I've already accepted that Minamino-kun is starting to like you. Or maybe he already likes you and he's not aware of it. Just enjoy every moment you have with him."