Chapter 54 - A Kiss Of Life & Promise

Kurama entered Riya's room as quietly as he could even though he clearly ー and sadly ー knew that she won't be waking up even if he entered loudly and in a hurry. Of course, that rarely happened. He wouldn't be the legendary bandit and master thief Youko Kurama if he entered in some place loudly.

He saw Riya lying peacefully on the beautiful ー and surely comforting ー bed. From his position, he could sense her spirit energy. Though weak (which surprised and worried him at the same), he knew she was still alive. But at the same time, he could also sense the mysterious but powerful force that Carissa and the doctor was talking about. But how would he be able to get rid of that force inside of her? He shook his head rashly when he felt that his resolve began to falter again.

This is no time for me to be pessimistic. Riya's still in danger and I have to do something to prevent her from possibly dying, he thought that made him breathe heavily.

He approached the bed where Riya was lying and then sat beside her. Riya was ー in a sense ー sleeping and he knew that. But the possibility of her dying in that sleep was something he could never accept whatever it takes. He lost her once; he couldn't afford to lose her forever.

"Hey, Riya..." he started. He wasn't sure if talking to her would actually help in any way. But he wanted to do something at the very least. "I don't know if you can hear me right now. But I'm still hoping you could. I know we won this battle ー and it's all because of you. And I owe my life to you. You saved me a lot of times even if it means you have to forfeit your own just to do that. I was hurt when you sacrificed your love for me just to bring me back to life. But still, I guess it didn't stop me from loving you even more. All that you did to prove your love for me ー all was enough for me to realize that it's you who I want to spend my eternity with. I've lived my life much longer than you think but I never felt something like this ー not once. You made me live my life in a way I never thought possible. And I want it to be that way. I want to live my life with you."

As he said those words, memories that he and Riya shared for the past months ran in his mind. Happiness, regret, sadness, torment, pain ー those were just some of the emotions he felt as he remembered them. But even after all that, he was thankful. All of those that happened between them made him realize the life he wanted to live ー a life with Riya in it... forever.

"A lot of things happened to us but I'll always be grateful that you came to my life. I don't know if I can help you in your situation right now. I've never felt this hopeless my entire life. I wanted to be with you but a lot of things keep on separating us. The only way for me to counter all that is my determination to be with you. I don't know if my life for you could do so much to help you. But I'll try. At least I wanted to try as hard as I could so that I could be with you. If love really is the greatest magic of all, then I'll use that power to save you right now. I'll do it if that's the only way. That's how I love you, Riya. At the very least, I want you to know that in ways I know how. He sighed and leaned closer to Riya's face. "This is just one of the ways I'm talking about."

As soon as he was done saying those words, he planted a kiss on Riya's lips. All that pent-up longing and overflowing love that he had for this woman was there in that kiss. Even though she was sleeping, he wanted her to feel his love that was only meant for her and her alone.

What he didn't know, however, was the fact that the kiss he was currently giving to Riya started to do its magic. He and Riya's bodies emitted a bright blue glow that surrounded them both. It only surrounded them and didn't actually flare up in the entire room so it didn't cause any commotion. Kurama could feel a warm sensation surrounding his body as he continued to kiss Riya. After a few seconds, the glow slowly dissipated as soon as he ended the kiss. He looked at Riya with unshed tears in his eyes as he touched her face.

"I just hope you felt the love that I have for you through that kiss... even though you're unconscious," he muttered before he learned closer to Riya and cried on her shoulder. He didn't know why he was crying. But he knew one thing ー that one kiss proved everything that he felt for Riya. Along with that kiss was the promise he had no intention of breaking ー that they would be together eternally no matter what happens. "I love you, Riya. I love you so much. Please... Please come back to me. I'm begging you. I can't lose you now. There's no way I can afford to lose you again. Please..." he pleaded in between cries.

Tears fell down straight to Riya's shoulder.

A few moments later, he heard a soft moan ー and it was a woman's moan, he was sure of it. Suddenly, he stopped crying and raised his head; anticipation and anxiety was written all over his face. His eyes widened the moment that Riya slowly fluttered her eyes open.

"Riya?" he called out, almost in a whisper.

The answer he got was a faint, sweet smile from the maiden. That alone was enough for him to know that a miracle happened. He really did something to save her from possibly dying.

"Why are you crying? Did I do something to hurt you?" she asked worriedly as she touched his face and slowly tried to get up on her bed to have a closer look at him. Kurama didn't answer, which worried Riya even more. "Kurama, you're scaring me when you're not answering and you're like that. What's wrong? Are you okay?" she asked again as her voice started cracking. She didn't mind that, though.

But she was caught surprised when Kurama suddenly pulled her to his arms and hugged her tight. His body was trembling, too. "I thought I'm going to lose you again."

The fear, relief, happiness and pain that Kurama felt at the time moment was evident in his voice. Riya could feel it and she couldn't help but to feel even more worried for him. She returned his embrace in the same degree, with the intention of dissipating the fear that he was feeling. They savored each other's warmth for a few moments and relished the fact that everything was alright now.

At last, the storm was over.

"I'm here now. You have nothing to be afraid of anymore, Kurama. I won't let anything separate us again, I promise. I love you... so much..." Riya said before she pulled away from Kurama. She saw him smile, his emerald eyes had etches of emotions and determination not to let her go again.

Before she knew it, she and Kurama were sharing a deep, lingering kiss that took them beyond space and time.

And it was a kiss that cast aside all her doubts and her fears for the future. A kiss that definitely promised them eternity.