Chapter 29 - Stepping Up To The Truth

Yumi's letter

9:16 PM

I was the first to write my thoughts on paper. I should've expected that since I was the one who suggested it. So now here I am. By far, I have to admit that I've been doing a lot of thinking about this senseless battle. At first, I thought that by possessing the Dragon Sword of Flame, I could finally find my father without facing a dangerous battle such as this at all. But then I was wrong.

As the leader of the Legendary Weapon Wielders, I must protect my mistress—and also my best friend—Riya from many threats using the Legendary Weapon of Fire that my mother Hisakawa Saeko wielded more than twenty years ago. I learned that duty of mine when I was a child; at about the same time I learned my true heritage. A heritage that tells me that I am a half-human half-fire demon conceived differently. In other words, not normally. But I never learned who was my father, though I know what he did for my sake despite the fact about my birth. When the right time comes, I'll let the others know the truth about it.

But then again, I wasn't just going to write about myself. Still, I wanted to write down everything that I have in my heart right now. Even though he may not know about this at all, I wanted to let it all out. And since the battle is fast approaching, I don't know what to do anymore. So if you ever read this, Hiei, at least I wanted you to know that I love you even though you kept on calling me annoying and a pest. Weird, I know. But Riya figured it out already so there's no meaning if I tell you the truth... probably for the last time. We did a lot of things together when we were on a journey in the Demon World and you helped me out even though endangered your own life in the process. So thank you for that, though I know it wouldn't be enough.

Four months had passed by so fast. That means we've been facing the battle against the demon shinobi and Riya's illness for that long. I know I could do best against the demon shinobi and I can win. But facing a battle to defy Riya's fate? I don't think so. She had been my best friend since I was 8; she was 5 back then and it would be too painful for me if I lose her now. She had just found happiness with Kurama. So why would I allow the hands of Death to take her away from us—away from me? It's not just Riya. We might lose Kurama in this battle, as well. It just isn't fair!

Two months ago, she told me to be prepared. Her sickness might take her life sooner than expected. But I shook my head at that because I don't want to be prepared. I don't want to lose anyone in this battle. And that means I don't want to lose my best friend more than anyone.

She fought so hard already and she's still fighting until now. I know she would rather choose to sacrifice her life for the sake of this battle than lose Kurama's life. She wouldn't allow Kurama's life to be taken away by Erithea or any demon shinobi. She'll defend his life to the extent of losing her own if it would come to that.

And I promised her that I'll do the same.

If ever she dies in this battle, I promise her that I'll defend the lives of those she cherishes the most in this world. And that's a pledge of a warrior to her mistress.

—Hisakawa Yumi

-x-x-

Hiei's letter

9:24 PM

Tsk. Why did I let myself agree with Yumi's stupid suggestion? It's not like this is our last will, anyway. In any case, I agreed so I might as well do it. They wouldn't even know what was written here, anyway.

I don't know what's going to happen in the battle tomorrow but I'll make sure I won't let the enemies have their ways. Most importantly, I wouldn't let Kurama and Riya die. I know the prophecy was talking about both of them and not just one. Both of them will die to ensure a victory in the battle. I had Yumi interpret the prophecy since she has a better sense of interpretation when it comes to codes, puzzles, and prophecies. And I hated it knowing a senseless battle would take the lives of two of my 'friends' as a sacrifice.