Chapter 15 - The One To Protect

Kurama was already walking towards the school gate when he heard someone call his name. He turned around as soon as he heard the familiar voice.

"Wait up, Shuichi-kun!" Riya called as she ran towards him. "I thought you still have a club meeting today."

"It was canceled because of the faculty meeting with regards to the Rose Festival," he answered, and then he began to walk. "And besides, Yusuke talked to me a while back before he and Kuwabara headed out first."

"Yusuke? Why would he talk to you?" she asked innocently. 'Don't tell me the demon shinobi are on the move again...'

However, Kurama remained serious. "I can't tell you the details right now." 'I couldn't tell you that we'll be facing another danger with regards to the mission Koenma made us do,' he sadly thought in addition to what he said.

"I see." Then silence fell.

"Where are you going, by the way? Is the soccer match already over?" he asked after a short while.

She nodded as she faced him. "Yeah, but Yukari-chan and I will head downtown to go to Ayako-chan's shop. We'll be having some issues to discuss."

When they reached an intersection, it was when Riya took her leave.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, Shuichi-kun. Be sure to get ready for the practice, okay?" she mentioned with a smile.

Kurama returned the gesture and waved as she walked away from him. "I will. Be careful on your way."

And with that, she left him. But it took a while before he finally head to his destination. Somewhere in his heart, he was feeling guilty for not telling Riya the truth about his mission along with Yusuke. But he couldn't afford to endanger her any further after she got hurt from the demon shinobi's last attack at the school. He couldn't watch her get hurt because of it.

'I'm sorry, Riya. But I couldn't find a chance to tell you everything. Maybe one day... I could. But not right now. I couldn't let you face the same danger as we are.'

After that, he turned and headed to the park where Yusuke asked to meet him along with the others.

xxxxxx

At the park...

Kurama arrived and he saw that Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Botan were already there waiting. As for Hiei, he was still out of sight.

"Sorry about the sudden call, Kurama," Yusuke said as soon as he arrived. "I've been sensing the Flute of Melody's energy lately and some demon shinobi, as well. It's been a while since they last made an appearance to any of us."

"It's alright, Yusuke. There might have been some activities regarding our enemy and the wielders recently that we don't know," he said. "But I noticed that the wielder of the Arrow of Wind hadn't made an appearance along with the other wielders at all. Not even once."

And when they thought about it, the three realized that what he said was true.

"Now that I think about it, you're right," Botan said. "But I also think that Hiei had so much confrontation with the wielder of the Dragon Sword of Flame recently. Or at least that's what I noticed."

"Fire versus fire, huh? It's going to be one tough battle when that happens," Yusuke commented.

"I have to agree with Urameshi on that one," Kuwabara added. "But if that's the case, why wouldn't he just arrest the wielder and take the weapon from her? That way, our mission would be finished in no time."

"I don't think it would be that easy, Kuwabara," Kurama countered to what Kuwabara said. "You must have forgotten their ranks in terms of powers."

When Kuwabara remembered that part of the legend told to them before, he just scratched the back of his head and laughed. "Oh, yeah. I forgot about that."