Chapter 12 - Surprising Connection And Unsaid Worries

Riya already reached her apartment and Kurama accompanied her all the way even though she told him to go home already. And since he was insistent, she just complied and let him do what he wanted. Besides, there was nothing wrong with that.

She knew that he cared for her welfare and safety and she appreciate that.

When she reached the door of her apartment, she turned slightly and faced Kurama. She gave a small bow.

"Thank you for accompanying me all the way here, although you don't have to do something that much," she said.

"You don't have to worry about anything. Besides, I wanted to make sure you're safe from harm. I don't want anything bad to happen to you again, especially when I'm not around." 'I can't afford to lose you in any way because of this mission,' he added in his thoughts with a serious look on his face.

That made her look at him with a serious face, thinking and letting her mind absorb what he just said. After a while, she smiled.

"Thank you... for worrying about me. But I'll be okay, I promise," she answered.

Though she saw him sigh because of relief, she knew very well that it wasn't enough for her to convince him with just that. But she would give him time until he could finally be convinced that nothing bad will happen to her at all.

'Really? Can you convince him like that when you already know that your mission could kill you anytime when you're not prepared?' A part of her mind said that startled her a bit. That was right. He didn't know who she was and the real reason why she transferred there. The fact that she knew something about the Legendary Weapons' existence might anger him when he found out.

She wasn't yet prepared for that. She still has to give herself some time to prepare in facing his wrath when the inevitable happened.

Kurama could only look at Riya's face as he kept on staring at her. Now he was beginning to get worried about her since her face has etched with sadness, guilt, and... fear. Was it starting again?

"Hey, are you alright?" he asked her with concern. He saw her get startled and looked at him. Afterward, she smiled. It wasn't a forced smile but... there was still something missing about it. Right now, he couldn't tell what.

"Thanks again," she said, and then she proceeded to her apartment. But before she managed to open the door, they heard someone come out. It was familiar to both of them since it was someone they knew. Her hand seemed frozen as she held on to the doorknob and that person was approaching the two of them.

"Hey, Kurama!" Yusuke greeted the redhead and she remained in her position without facing any of them.

'Great! I can't believe I would be crossing paths with Yusuke right now, of all times!' All she did was to heavily sigh.

"Good evening, Yusuke!" Kurama greeted as Yusuke approached. "It seemed to me you're coming home late again. Did something happen?"

"Nothing much. I just stayed at Keiko's house for a while and had some chit-chat. By the way, what are you doing here at this hour? You wanted something from me?"

Kurama shook his head and smiled. "I escorted my friend here just to assure her safety. You see, she was the one who was in that building when the attack happened. I just wanted to make sure she wouldn't run into any trouble or danger."

"I see," Yusuke said and then glanced at the said person. "Is that her?"

The redhead nodded and approached Riya. Kurama then noticed that she hadn't moved from her spot. It made him worry again. But before he could say anything else, he saw her sigh audibly and turned around to face him and Yusuke. He saw Yusuke's reaction when he saw her.