Chapter 18 - Fateful Night

Like what she had speculated, Riya was led to the cliff where she and Kurama watched the fireworks display more than two weeks ago after meeting his family. It was the same place where they made that promise.

The moon was not in full shape but it was bright, which made it still beautiful. It made the night even more peaceful and serene—which was perfect for the two of them. They wanted to savor it as long as they wanted to.

"It's still beautiful no matter how many times you look at it," she said with a gentle smile on her face as she looked at the moon. "Something like this doesn't last forever... That's why we must savor it while we still have a chance."

Kurama was a bit troubled and surprised to hear the words from Riya but then thought that it must be because of the scenery that night. Because of that, he approached her from behind and gently embraced her.

She was surprised when he did that, causing her eyes to open wide. Her hands were shaking as her heartbeat began to increase its tempo. She couldn't figure out what to do. It wasn't the first time Kurama had gotten completely close to her. But that closeness from before didn't make her heart beat erratically the way it beats now. It was completely new to her.

"K-Kurama..." she whispered. It was too late when she realized what she had just said. But she has no intention of taking it back. This must be the time that she has to tell him a part of the truth.

He gently released her from his embrace before he turned her around to face him. His eyes had a surprised look7, probably because he heard her call him by his real name—his demon name.

"Y-you just called me... Kurama..." he muttered his hands on her shoulders.

"That's your real name, right?" she said with a gentle smile. "I have a spiritual ability on my own, making me able to distinguish spirits from demons even in their disguised forms. It also helps me determine their classes, as well." She held his forearm as her face turned serious. "I'm sorry... if I kept that truth from you."

A long deafening silence surrounded the two, making the atmosphere between them somewhat tense. Riya couldn't even look at him after that.

It was him who broke the silence between them. "Then I guess it wouldn't be too hard for me to keep my secret anymore."

That made her look at his eyes. She was surprised to see him smiling at her.

"Y-you're not made about me keeping it a secret from you all these times? Even though I said I could trust you forever—"

But it was interrupted abruptly when Kurama spoke a bit loud.

"I could do the same thing to you, Riya," he said, surprising her. "I'm going... to trust you forever, as well. I'm not mad at you just because you kept that fact from me. I'm glad you told me that you knew my identity. You saved me the trouble of telling the truth to you." After he said that, he laughed softly.

All she could do was look at him like that, not minding the hands that were still holding her shoulders. Her hand that was holding his forearm immediately moved unconsciously to slowly touch his handsome face.

The face that has been a part of her dreams for more than five years now. The face that has been etched in her heart since day one.

She didn't even flinch when he touched her face after lifting one hand off her shoulder. Instead, the warm sensation from his touch made her unconsciously close her eyes for her to feel it even better. Her heart was pounding faster by the second. After a few more seconds, she slowly opened her eyes.

"Now it made me even more afraid than I was before," he suddenly said, the worry completely evident in his voice. "Now that you know my identity, I'm afraid that I could endanger you because of everything connected to me. I don't want you to face the danger that I was facing because I'm a demon."

"Kurama..."

She saw him close his eyes tightly and it made her worried for him. But then she began patching up her thoughts as she continued watching him. Involving herself with a demon like Kurama was a big risk to take, especially since her true mission might even cost her life and his, as well. She didn't want him to be involved. She didn't want any unrelated spirits or demons to die because of a war that should only exist between the Legendary Weapon Wielders and the demon shinobi. But somehow, it was a risk she couldn't avoid since not all of them knew the true reason why the weapons vanished from their respective shrines in the first place. Only time could tell when would the truth be revealed to all of them. As for now, it was for the best that only the wielders knew that secret reason.

This was a gamble where her life or the future of the three realms that was at stake. In a way, she only has to choose one.

Kurama then pulled her into his arms and embraced her tight, snapping her out of her musings. It caught her surprise but it immediately faded when she felt him. He was trembling as he continued to embrace her.

But why was he trembling?

"I'm sorry, Riya..." he whispered near her ear. "I didn't mean to surprise you like this. It's just that... I'm too scared right now."

'Scared? Why would he be scared?' She asked herself as she continued to listen to him.

"Now I'm too scared to die... because of our mission and our battle with the demon shinobi. I can't lose you the same way. I don't want to lose you just because you'll be involved with me. I'd rather lose you alive than dead. That way, I could be relieved knowing I could still see you smile, laugh and cry. I would be happy that way because I know you're alive."

It took her a while before she could gather up her courage to speak up and say what she wanted to say.

"I'm glad you told me that... Kurama..." She released herself from his embrace, stepped away from him a little, and looked intently at his green eyes. "But you see, you're the one who made me alive right now. You're the one who taught me how to smile, laugh and cry truly once again. You're the only one who helped me find my true self again. I'll be forever glad to you because of that. That's why... no matter what happens now, don't lose to them. I know you and Yusuke will do a good job." 'Even if it means I have to forfeit my own life just for you to defeat them.'

Kurama looked at her intently as she did before he lifted his hand and ran his fingers on her face. He didn't know why but his heart was telling him to do something—something that could change everything between him and Riya in that one moment.

'But I have to do it,' he said to himself. 'I want to confirm something that I have here in my heart. Just once—and once is all it takes for me to prove it to myself.'

He sighed inwardly before moving even closer to Riya. Their eyes locked as he continued to let his hand caress her face. His heart pounded in anticipation and unplumbed longing.

"Would it be too early for me to kiss you, Riya?" he asked huskily.

Her mind was flashing and screaming at her at the same time saying "yes" but then she felt her heart was eager to say otherwise. In the end, her heart—her heart that truly loved the man in front of her—prevailed. She was happy with that result.

"No," she answered, making him smile.

Unknown to him, her heart pounded in the same anticipation and longing. She wanted him to kiss her like there was no tomorrow.

Slowly, his face moved inch by inch closer to hers. She closed her eyes. At the first touch of his lips to hers, everything around became hazy. Not only that, her world seemed to stop turning. Although she knew it would just be a simple kiss, it was still as spine-tingling as a torrid kiss. But then she has no doubt.

As for Kurama, kissing Riya only brought out the hidden truth that lies in his heart completely. Now he didn't feel any doubt as to what he felt for Riya. As he deepened the kiss, he realized that he was in love. It wasn't just any other love. It was a sort of romantic love that seeped through his heart as he held her close to him.

There was no doubt about it. He was truly, deeply, madly in love with Riya.

'Now I finally know that... At long last, I found out!'