Chapter 41 - His Song, Her Song

The day of the performance for their music assignment had arrived. Almost everyone was excited and at the same time, nervous because of it. Despite all that, all of them anticipated each other's performances. Two classes would be using the auditorium at the same time. As for Class 2-C, they would be with Class 2-D. That was why the two classes were happy. It didn't come as a surprise to their music teacher since she knew that the two classes were in some sort of collaboration for some time now. Somehow, they made quite a team--a large team, for that matter.

When their hour came, the two classes headed to the auditorium in an organized manner. They went there in two straight lines. Upon reaching the place, they saw that several musical instruments were on the stage. There were also CD players and cassette players, even the complete sounds system--all of which were going to be used by the students for their performances.

And so the scary part began... or a least that was what everyone was thinking as soon as they sat on the chairs of the hall.

They saw the teacher get onto the stage and took the mic from its stand.

"Alright, class! Today you'll be performing your chosen songs so I want every one of you to perform at your best. Now we'll have to do it with the numbers you have on your hands. The ladies will perform first so better get ready. As for your numbers with your pairs, it will be decided after the individual performances. Are there any questions?" The teacher inquired as she looked around.

No one said anything which she took as a yes.

"If there aren't any questions, then the person who picked number one should come here on stage." With that, the teacher left the stage and the student with the number one came up.

Riya took a deep breath and looked at the paper in her hand. She got the number 19. But even though she was still far behind, she was undeniably nervous and a little scared. Kurama sensed this so he held her hand that made her look at him. With his gentle smile, she felt somewhat calmer.

All in all, Class 2-C and Class 2-D had 60 students. There were 28 boys and 32 girls altogether. As for the numbers that the rest of the group got, it was listed as follows: Yusuke got 34, Kuwabara got 36, Keiko got 26, Ayako got 29, and Kurama got 38. That means Riya would be the first among the gang to sing her song of choice.

The first 18 performers were all good as they were able to express their thoughts about the person they loved through the song they picked. They were given a chance to explain why they picked that particular song and to who, by any chance, they dedicate it. For Kurama, it was quite obvious as to whom he would dedicate the song he chose. The only problem was the title of the song itself. Same goes to Yusuke, Kuwabara, Keiko, and Ayako.

But the real mystery lies in Riya's song and to whom she would dedicate it. Even Kurama didn't know that. So they had to wait since it was their only option.

When it was Riya's turn, everyone in that hall went quiet. The maiden took a deep breath before she stood from her seat and went to the stage. She adjusted the height of the mic stand and took a stool that was on one corner of the stage and a guitar. Everyone waited for the teacher to give the signal for her to sing.

"Miyuzaki-san, could you tell us the title of the song and to whom you're dedicating it?" the teacher asked with a smile since she, too, wanted to know the answer to that mystery.

Before answering the teacher's question, Riya glanced over Kurama's seat and saw him give her a reassuring smile enough to calm her nerves. Soon after, she faced the students who were anticipating and anxious to hear her answer to the question.

"Today, I chose to sing the song titled 'Tell Me Where It Hurts' and I dedicate it to the person who's making me feel special even though I caused pain to him. In a way, I know I broke his heart and I want him to know that I'm here and willing to ease his pain with all that I can. Like the song that I chose for this day, I want to do what I can to put back the pieces of his broken heart. That way, I could thank him for making me feel special and happy that I would cherish for the rest of my life," Riya said seriously but with a small smile on his face.