Chapter 51 - We're In This Together

"So I guess I'll have to hand to you the position of a leader, huh?" Yusuke said that confused Riya.

"I don't understand..."

"For now—- just until this battle ends—- I'll let you lead us. You're the mistress of the Legendary Weapon Wielders, after all. And right now, you're the only one who has the power to counter Erithea's powers. We'll entrust our victory to you, Riya."

Riya was surprised to hear that from Yusuke. To think the whole team would actually allow her to do something like that—- to entrust their victory onto their hands. But then she realized that—- among those who fought Erithea before—- she has the only weapon to eradicate the said evil being once and for all. She might have failed to eradicate her before since she used up her life force. But not this time.

She couldn't afford to fail for the final time.

This wasn't just for her, after all. This was for everyone and everything that were important to her. This was to defy the laws of the worlds in order for her to decide for her future. She could only hope that the future lying ahead of her would have Kurama in it. He was the reason why her memories returned.

"Are you sure about that, Yusuke?" she asked after a few moments of silence.

"We're all sure. Even Hiei will agree to it," Yusuke said.

"Hn. For once, you said something sensible, detective," the fire demon retorted. Of course, it infuriated the detective a bit. "I know she could be of help for us to finish this mission."

Riya sighed and faced everyone with a serious face. "Alright. I'll be your leader... just until we defeat Erithea for good." She then faced the others and smiled—- a smile that showed hope, courage, and determination. "Let's go. We'll finish this... together." I just hope I could still survive this, she added in her thoughts. Unfortunately for her, Yukari read her mind.

"Riya-senpai, you're being pessimistic again," Yukari said pouting and hands on her waist.

Though caught startled, Riya managed to burst out a chuckle. "Sorry, Yukari-chan. I can't help it. I've fought Erithea once in that form and it killed me. Now I'm not sure if I could actually defeat her even with the help of my powers I just retrieved and the power boost from the blue moon. More than ever, I've felt scared," she admitted and sighed. Oh, great! Why do I have to be like this, of all times? I'm facing a war that will define everything about my destiny and everyone's future. So why am I being pessimistic now? Riya slightly shook her head and tightened her grip on her Silver Staff. But before she knew it, she felt someone pulled her to a tight embrace.

The scent of rose filled her nose that made her calm somehow. With that, she slowly closed her eyes and indulged herself to the scent of the flower that made her life the loveliest one to live for the first time. She returned Kurama's embrace in the same degree. But she didn't have a chance to hide her fears in that embrace. Kurama felt it completely.

"I'm sorry, Kurama. I just couldn't help it. I've never felt this scared my whole life. I just don't want anyone to die anymore because of this," Riya said as her tears fell. She buried her face to his chest in order to muffle her cries.

The wielders looked at her sadly. The others tried to put up a brave front for the person who couldn't help but to fear a lot of things that was about to happen. Kurama just embraced Riya tighter to let her know that he would be there for her no matter what. "No one—- except the enemies—- is going to die. I'm going to promise you that, Riya. Besides, your powers are going to help us win this. You said so yourself. You're going to use your powers to amplify our powers. We can win this war. That's why you don't have to be afraid. We're here for you. We'll be with you all the way through."

She just let out an agreeing sound when she realized that Kurama was right. She didn't deny that she was afraid. But finishing this ancient war was the only way for their sufferings to end. A lot of lives were lost because of this. And she had come this far with the sole desire to end it once and for all. That's right. She wasn't alone. Not once. She could end this—- along with the support of the people who helped her grow and discover the happiness that her life had to offer. The happiness she found with Kurama.

She pulled away from Kurama after realizing all that. She stared at his beautiful emerald eyes and it made her regain her courage and vanquish her inner fears. "Thank you..." she murmured with a small smile.

"Anytime."

An ear-splitting shriek cut off that short but beautiful moment as it resonated throughout the ominous dark sky. Of course, it alerted everyone. Most of them held on tight to their weapons as their eyes narrowed to the dark sphere floating above the city. Soon after, the ground began to shake furiously, making them crouch down on one knee. However, Riya decided to fly up.

"Riya, where are you going?" Kurama asked as he looked up when he saw her fly up. But she seemed to have not heard him.

I need to amplify their powers before Erithea managed to reveal herself in her new form. But what could I do if I left them there on the ground? Riya thought frustratingly but she just shook her head and continued to head up to the sky.

Lady Riya, what are you trying to do? Erithea's about to come out any minute, Carissa informed using telepathy.

"I'm not sure, Carissa-chan. But I need to do something about their powers. At their current state, I doubt if their could counter the enemy's powerful attacks with ease," she said in a low voice.

My lady, you couldn't be thinking of doing THAT...

But Riya responded with a heavy sigh and soon after, she halted to a stop mid-air. Upon stopping, she looked at the large orb floating above the slumbering city with narrowed eyes. Her anger and frustration began to rise up as she realized that Erithea's powers were much stronger than she ever thought—- even more stronger than what she had encountered in her past life while she was still Celeste.

Gripping her staff's handle tighter, she closed her eyes and focused herself to calm down. No matter how powerful the enemy was at that moment, she had to do what it takes to survive. A lot of people—- her family, her friends, the wielders, and most especially, the man who she had come to love more than her life—- believed in her.

She didn't want to fail them now.

And so with that, she began concentrating her spirit energy onto her staff in order to do what she had to.

Celeste... Please guide me all the way through.