Chapter Nine

THIRD UPDATE!!!!

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, FAN and FOLLOW!!!

Love, Brooke

Love Mama Marshmallow xox

*********

I woke up the next morning, hazy and confused. I was seated snugly on Dad’s lap, and I sat up quickly and yawned. Dad placed his hand over my mouth, a sign to tell me to be silent, and pointed at Mum.

She was sketching on a piece of hotel stationery. She drew a room; long, rectangular, with a thinner, square section at the back. The wooden planks that made up the floor stretched lengthwise across the room. Down the walls were lines denoting the breaks in the mirrors. And then, wrapping around the walls, waist high, a long band. The band Mum said was gold.

“It’s familiar.” Bella spoke up, from behind the sofa Mum was sitting on.

“It’s a ballet studio.” I said, suddenly recognising the familiar shapes.

“Do you know this room?” Dad asked Bella, sounding calm. Mum bent back over the artwork, and she added in an emergency exit, positioned against the back wall, the stereo and TV on a low table by the front right corner.

“It looks like the place I used to go for dance lessons—I was eight or nine. It was shaped just the same.” Bella said, and my parents and I exchanged a worried glance.

“Would you have any reason to go back there?” Dad questioned.

“No, I haven’t been there in almost ten years. I was a terrible dancer—they always put me in the back for recitals.” Bella admitted, getting lost in an old memory.

“Where was the studio you went to?” Mum asked in a casual voice.

“It was just around the corner from my mum’s house. I could walk there after school….” Her voice drowned out.

“Here in Phoenix then?” Dad asked, wide eyed.

“Yes. Fifty-eight Street and Cactus.”

We all sat there in silence, as we stared at the artwork.

“Chloe, is your phone safe to use?” Bella asked me, coyly.

“Yeah, it will just trace back to Forks.” I reassured her.

“Would I be able to phone my Mum?” Bella asked me.

“I thought she was in Florida.” I said, with confusion furrowing my brow.

“She is, but she is coming back soon, and she obviously can’t go back to the house when…”

“Dad?”

He thought about it. “I don’t think there’s any way it could hurt—be sure you don’t say where you are, of course.” He finished, as he looked at Bella.