Chapter Seventeen

When I arrived in front of a small, cosy house, I gently placed Bella on her feet onto the dirt. The wolves were waiting outside for me, and a tall, naturally beautiful woman was standing in Sam’s protecting embrace. She had thick, black hair, and smooth russet coloured skin. Though she was beautiful, three pale scars were etched into Emily’s right cheek, pulling the right part of her mouth into a permanent, ugly scowl.

“Ah, so you’re the real vampire girl?” Emily, I’m guessing, chuckled, as she protectively scanned my simple attire.

“Uh, pardon?” I asked, with confusion etched into my voice.

“Oh, it’s a private joke.” She waved it off, and giggled. I nodded expressionlessly, as I took in my surroundings.

“So, Chloe, this is my fiancé, Emily, Em, this is Chloe Hale.” Sam smiled, slightly.

“Hello, lovely to meet you.” I smiled sweetly, flashing my perfect set of pearl white teeth.

“Oh, it’s so great to meet you. Can I say something? You are beautiful!” Emily smiled and the boys cheered in loud agreement, and I flushed a deep, delicate pink.

“Aw, look, a half leech is blushing!” Jared cooed. I glared at him, and he chuckled hysterically at his awful joke.

“T-thank you.” I smiled at Emily pleasantly, for her kind compliment.

“You’re welcome to come in and eat. I’ve just made a fresh batch of eggs and muffins.” Emily smiled warmly, and I cheered quietly, the wolves chuckled at me. Right. Super hearing, too.

“Thank you so much!” I grinned, and followed the group into her cosy house. I immediately smelled the eggs, and I trembled excitedly. As soon as the eggs were placed on the table, I made a mad struggle for them, and began devouring them at a fast pace.

“Geez, aren’t you supposed to like, drain some animals of blood? Not eat most of our eggs?” Sam laughed, as he pecked Emily’s lips once more.

“Uh. I do that to.” I mumbled admittedly, as my throat burned, reminding me that I had to hunt soon. “But! I love food too!” I giggled at their grossed out expressions. As they were distracted, I stole Embry’s muffin, and chomped on it happily.

“Hey!” Embry complained, and as he reached to take another one from the pan, Paul stuffed the last one into his mouth, vibrating with laughter. “You guys are mean.” He pouted, and everyone was chuckling, including Sam.

“Gee, if you come around here often, I’ll have to make extra with the way you eat!” Emily laughed, as she put a tray of cookies down.

I blushed a rosy red, and giggled. “Paul. Put that damn cookie down.” His eyes widened, and he immediately dropped the cookie. I giggled, and picked it up, and began munching on it.

“What?!” Paul exclaimed, outraged, standing up abruptly out of his wooden chair, as his brothers roared with laughter. “Why did you do that? The tray is full of cookies!”  Jacob scoffed and rolled his brown eyes, as he quietly spoke to Bella. Apparently he doesn’t quite like that his friends are now my friends. Humph.