Chapter Sixteen

“So, where have Jasper, Alice and you been staying?” Bella asked, curiously, as we slowly strolled along the rocky local La Push beach. I knew she was always closer to Mum that she was to me, but I was totally okay with it.

“Uh, with the Denali coven, in Alaska.” I replied, and I smiled slightly, as I thought of my precious family whom I will miss dearly.

Bella was about to reply, when a husky voice interrupted. “Bells!” It called again in an eager, love-sick puppy tone.

I swiftly turned, agitated, and spotted an extremely tall, muscular, russet coloured teenage boy, with cropped black hair, and mysterious toffee coloured eyes.  He smelled really bad. Ew. “Whoa! Who is this?” he asked, as he looked at me curiously, after embracing Bella. Was this a new boyfriend?! I cocked my head to the right, and entered his mind.

‘Who is this? She looks unfamiliar, and she looks and smells an awful lot like a leech. But dude, she is hot, and them jeans- Jake snap out of it man!’

“This is Chloe Hale.” Bella replied, looking nervous. Something smelt…gross- like wet-dog.  “And, Lo, this is Jacob Black.” Black?! Like Ephraim Black, Papa’s old acquaintance?! Oh lord, this boy was a shape shifter! I knew it, that was how he could smell my vampire scent, and why he smells like an extremely dirty, wet dog.

“Hale? Odd last name.” He snorted, looking at me suspiciously, but still checking me out. How dare he?!

I tensed, waiting for the proclamation that will probably start World War III. “Uh…she is the youngest Cullen… that I was telling you about…yeah….”

There was a suspenseful pause… ”She is a leech?! Bella!” Jacob stared at me in disgust, as he started shaking violently. I immediately shoved Bella behind me, protecting her with my own body, glaring at the immature dog. A shape-shifter, especially one as young as this, as I’ve heard, are prone to unintentional shifting, and can harm anyone who stands too close.

“Calm down, mutt!” I hissed quietly, but still sounding melodic.

“Don’t call her that, Jacob!” Bella exclaimed angrily, as she defended me. But Jacob ignored her.

He glared at me, but did as I told him, and calmed down. “I am half-human.” I rolled my eyes, as he looked astonished. “And there is nothing wrong with vampires, you were just brought up differently, you learnt to hate vampires.” Jacob was surprised, but felt a little mad, and shocked—I knew this because I ‘borrowed’ Dad’s gift. This young shape-shifter holds many emotions.

“Oi, Jake, who’s the hot chick?” another voice joined, as I heard three pairs of feet and three loud heartbeats, joining our little ‘trio’.

Four males; one a young man, the other three were teenage boys, looking aged sixteen to twenty.  They looked a lot like Jacob Black, with thick, black cropped hair, russet coloured skin, and tall muscular builds. “This is Chloe Hale.” Jacob introduced me reluctantly. Bella shuffled uncomfortably, feeling out of place and awkward.