VII

IM SITTING ON my porch steps numbly tossing a ball for Misha

IM SITTING ON my porch steps numbly tossing a ball for Misha. Misha chases after the ball, sliding a little over the damp grass, then runs it back to me. Its currently Saturday and I am waiting for Ryder to show up at my house. We are supposed to go to our date, something I'm a little excited about. I have no idea where we are going or how long it will take, all I know is it includes Ryder. Suddenly, a familiar car slides up next to my mailbox. My eyebrows raise and I rise up, waving at Ryder as he steps out of the car.

    Misha immediately starts running at him. Ryder's eyes trace Misha all the way to his feet where Misha jumps up. Ryder reaches out and easily catches Misha, holding him to his chest as Misha smothers him in kisses.

    "Misha!" I squeal. I run forward, grabbing Misha from his hold and placing him on the ground, a little out of breath. "Sorry about him. He's still a puppy and..." Ryder's laugh cuts me off.

    "It's fine. I love dogs. Especially when they look like that," Ryder points to Misha. I look down, seeing him desperately chasing his tail, his curly yellow hair bouncing.

    "He is pretty cute," I say shortly, bending down to rub his neck. Misha pauses in chasing his tail and leans into my fingers, before turning around and chasing after the ball I threw a while back.

    "So, are you ready for our date?" I look at him quickly and he automatically corrects himself. "Friend...date." He adds a cute smile at the end that makes me smile back.

    I nod my head and say I'm going to put Misha in. I run to the door, letting Misha dart inside.

    "Bye, mom! I'll be home by four!"

    "Okay honey!" She calls. I see Brody waving at me, and send him a wave back before running back down my porch steps and over to where Ryder awaits.

    "So, what are we doing today?" I ask him as I slide into his car once again, pleased to feel the fine leather rub along my back.

    "A circus."

    "What?" I cry. My head snaps toward him, my heart starting to pound irrationally.

    "I liked you in my arms so much last night, I figured the only way to touch you today would be if you got scared by clowns."

    Despite my hate warming, I turn to look at him, sort of growling. "You're playing a dangerous game."

    "As long as I get to touch you, I'm fine." He's being so obvious that it's foreign. Dean would secretly find a way to touch me, but now Ryder blatantly states he wants to hold me.

    "You know, I'm not going to touch you at all now," I shake my head. Ryder allows a small smirk to form across his face.

    "We will see."

___

    On the car ride over to the circus, my heart kept pounding. I wondered if this would be considered cheating with Dean. Guilt rode me every motion, especially as I slid out of Ryder's car, the bright red and white circus tent instantly letting my heart start whining. I hate circuses. The clowns, the music, the creepy people who try to be funny. The only good thing is the animals. But even then, the animals have a poor life in some cases.