XXIII

"EVERLEIGH," MY MOTHERS voice sounds distant as I lay on my bed

"EVERLEIGH," MY MOTHERS voice sounds distant as I lay on my bed. Misha pants beside me, now awake from my mother screaming at me from the kitchen. "Ever! Come on! School starts in a half an hour!" She shrieks. I just roll around in bed, freezing as a tan arm comes in front of my face. Memories rush back to me as I look at Ryder, my whole body freezing as I realize he stayed here the whole night. Ryder's eyes are shut, his breath evened out.

Suddenly, I hear my mothers feet pounding against the stairs as she comes up to my room. I instantly perk up, along with Misha.

"Ever? Are you okay?" I see her turn my handle and practically die, but then she pauses. "Ever? Why is the door locked?"

Oh, thank the devil. Someone locked the door last night. I glance at Ryder before waking him up. I throw the covers off his body, making him just groan. My eyes widen and I slap my hand on his mouth to shut him up. This makes his eyes fly open and he almost pounces on me, but he realizes it's me and just stares at me under my hand.

"What?" He mumbles, his breath hot on my hand. I point to my door before purposefully looking away from him--so he won't smell my morning breath--and speak.

"My mom. You need to hide," I hiss. His eyes widen more before he comes up in my bed. His cheek is red from where he was sleeping on it and his hair is all messed up. I motion to my closet, and he instantly gets up and walks over to it. I move my eyes away from him as he shows off his boxers, my cheeks reddening.

As soon as my closet door shuts, I rush to my bedroom door painted with photos of myself and my friends across it. It's mostly just Abby and me being dumb, Mac in a few.

I throw open my door, allowing a cool smile to fall across my mouth.

"Morning mom," I smile at her. My mom's eyes move to look around, and I wince. I remember dads jacket and Ryders pants. My mind starts running as I think of what to do, eventually landing on the most cliche thing to do: I yawn, my arms purposefully stretching across my moms face.

My mom pulls back before looking at me. "Hi, honey. You're going to be late for school. Are you feeling okay?" My mom reaches forward where she runs her fingers across my head to look for a fever. "You normally don't sleep in this late."

"I had a nightmare last night," I tell her. It's not necessarily a lie.

"Oh," my moms face falls. Mom knows that nightmares are nothing new to me. When I was a toddler, I was always waking my parents up as I had horrible night terrors. "Well, you're okay now. So do you want to shower and go to school, or stay home? We can have a mom and daughter day, some bonding," my mom smiles. As much as staying home and talking to my mom all day sounds amazing, I just frown.

"I can't," I sigh. "I have a test in Chemistry today." My moms face visibly saddens but then brightens.

"Okay, what period?"