XV

ABBY PRACTICALLY FORCED me to go to the Halloween party

ABBY PRACTICALLY FORCED me to go to the Halloween party. I'm a little hesitant, but when Abby asked why I couldn't tell her. How do I tell her that Lucas is possibly a murderer? So she forced me to go. She made me slide on the tight white shirt and then pull my arms through the little fake wings. She does my hair like a wild woman, curling and then puffing it up to an awkward height. She then forces me to slide on some heels. But when she isn't looking, I slide them off and put on my Converses.

    She doesn't notice by the time we get to the party. Thankfully, she's too excited to drive me back home and put them on. So now I am standing against a counter with the wings annoyingly brushing on everything. People wear masks around me, all giggling and dancing to the beat of a song. My eyes droop slightly. This party is so boring. It doesn't help I've been laying in bed for the past two days, only getting out to go to school on Monday. I went there for five minutes before telling my mom to come to pick me up. That was today. She readily got me even when I magically felt better after getting home. I wasn't really sick and she knew that. Yet she still allowed me to go home. She probably knew that I wasn't up for high school.

    I'm not up for a party either, but Abby just doesn't care.

    Suddenly, Ryder walks up to me. I tense shortly. Something he notices. "Ever? What's wrong?" He acts like he didn't kiss my neck and confess his feelings for me last Saturday.

    Ryder stares at me in confusion, worry lining his black eyes. "Nothing," I lie. "I just wasn't feeling good so I went home. I should've told someone."

    I'll never tell a soul that Lucas chased me through the halls. That night was overall bad.

    "Alright well I have something--" He suddenly gets cut off by screams. Everyone's head snaps to the middle of the party and sees the door open. More screams and suddenly people are piling out the door.

    Abby appears next to me with a pale face, Mac drunkenly stumbling behind her. "Cops?"

    "I don't know," I answer. I move forward as Ryder starts pushing people out of the way. Abby drags Mac with her, her lips in a tight line. "Come on," I grab her hand to not lose her. Ryder glances back and then connects our hands so we are like a train. Everyone rushes out the front door, almost one hundred bodies all slipping through the small threshold.

    "Oh my God! I cannot believe it!" One girl screams beside me. I look at her and am about to ask her for a question, but when she sees me, she screams more. "It's going to be so cute!"

    "What?" I look at her for answers but she just smiles at me. Ryder bursts through the door, pulling Abby, Mac, and I all behind him. He quickly steps down the stairs, turning around as I stumble slightly. He wears a dark black mask, almost making his face invisible in the night.

    "Careful," he whispers in my ear. He grasps my wrist harder and starts to turn away from everyone. The crowd goes to our left as he pulls us to the right.