XXV

LUCAS SHOWS UP on my porch one day as I am sitting on my breakfast bar, munching on a granola bar

LUCAS SHOWS UP on my porch one day as I am sitting on my breakfast bar, munching on a granola bar. My eyes widen as I look at him, then glance at my mother before smiling and saying I'm going to for a walk. She nods before turning to look at me, but I am already out the door and rushing toward the woods with Lucas trailing behind me. Everett pops out of nowhere, jumping out of a tree to glare at Lucas. He grabs my wrist and tugs me toward him, his eyes scanning the horizon as if searching for other angels.

    "Lucas, what happened?" I wonder. Lucas looks at me before growing a big smile.

    "He forgives you and understands," he tells me happily. I glance at Everett, then back at Lucas. Everett is staring at Lucas as if trying to tell if he is lying or not. When Everett looks down at me, he shakes his head and I get that he is telling me Lucas isn't lying.

    Happiness explodes in my stomach and I squeal before jumping up and hugging Lucas. My arms wrap around his neck as his arms wrap around my lower back.

    When I realize what is happening, I jump back down and go back to Everetts side who is tensed.

    "So, what did he say exactly?"

    "He said "I admire the way she works and is determined" or something like that. Then he said he looks forward to meeting me if you guys ever do meet. He also wishes you luck for the future, with your powers. He tells me they are going to be hard to continue."

    "I don't even know my powers, though. Like, what powers could they be?" I ask Lucas. Lucas glances at Everett before shrugging.

    "It could range from healing people of cancer to killing them by touch," Lucas tells me honestly. My eyes widen. Kill people by touch? My throat suddenly lumps up.

    "Oh...that's...comforting." Lucas grows a smile.

    "Well, at least you have God off your back. The only thing you need to worry about now is getting that power under control."

    I look to Everett then. He looks skeptical, his eyes scanning the rough edges of the forest. Suddenly, Everett tenses and whirls around, surprising the heck out of Prince. Prince just freezes before giving Everett a look and happily trotting over to me. I grin and am about to pet Prince when I remember what Lucas told me. I could kill him with a touch. Just a simple touch. I hesitate before sucking in a big breath and focusing on healing Prince. Prince moves his head against my hand, his antler brushing my shoulder. Warmth falls out of my hand, only now something I notice. I just thought it was Prince who was so warm when I was touching him.

    "You're healing him," Everett mutters.

    "What?" I question.

    "His antlers...look!" My eyes wander to Prince's antlers, watching them grow. They grow and grow until he is an eight-point buck. He looks up at his antlers before practically glowing with pride, his chest buffing out with his head raised, his eyes narrowed in arrogance. I stifle a giggle. Prince is so human-like it's insane. I must be able to control my powers a little more now that I know of them.