VIII

"SO, WHAT HAPPENED on your date with Ryder?" Abby sashays over to me after noticing me in the school library

"SO, WHAT HAPPENED on your date with Ryder?" Abby sashays over to me after noticing me in the school library. I groan slightly and lean back against my seat. I really need to study for this stupid test I forgot about.

    "It wasn't a date," I growl out slowly. Abby rolls her eyes before plopping down in the seat next to me. She grabs my Chem book and throws it on the table, ignoring my little whine.

    "Listen: if a guy carries you through a haunted house--a haunted-freaking-house, he obviously wants to date you."

    "But I don't want to date him."

    "Why not? He looks like a freaking model."

    "Looks aren't everything."

    Abby is quiet for a moment before she sighs. "Did he make you smile?" Memories float up to me from last Saturday and I give a weak nod. "Then it's obvious he is perfect for you--his looks are just a bonus."

    "Facts," Mac says coming out of nowhere. Abby nods her head.

    "Well, I cannot date him."

    "Why not?" Mac says as he starts manspreading across the table, his dirty shoes reaching across the table. Good thing I chose a secluded table otherwise the library ladies would die of an aneurysm. They are weird about the library. My nose gets tickled by the unique smell of old, forgotten books before I shake my head.

    "Dean."

    Once I speak his name, both of the two grow solemn. They were both good friends of Dean. We all got a piece torn out when that stupid accident happened. But at least Elliot is coming back. Earlier, everyone thought Elliot was going to kick the bucket, but now it seems likely Dean will be since he's in the coma. I pray he opens his big baby blue eyes soon.

    "What about him?" Abbys voice is low.

    "I feel like I'm cheating on him." Abby's eyes dim and a sad smile crosses her face.

    "You're not. You cannot live your life tied down to him, and although its horrible, you may have to come to terms he may never awaken again."

    "But what if he wakes and...?" My voice trails off. Mac looks at the brown table, fidgeting with his fingers awkwardly.

    "Listen, all I know is if you don't live how you want right now, you will definitely regret it in the future if he never does wake up. He could wake up in ten to five years. If there's a chance you and Ryder can be happy together, take it."

    "I don't know," I swallow down a lump in my throat. "High school couples don't really last." Abby gives me a look before glancing at Mac. He looks at her as well, slightly shrugging.

    "You're right. But you can still make your own decisions, I'm just giving you advice," Abby says patting my shoulder.

    "I know."