XVIII

AFTER GETTING OVER the initial shock that Ryder was, in fact, the spawn of Satan, everyone left the bleak room

AFTER GETTING OVER the initial shock that Ryder was, in fact, the spawn of Satan, everyone left the bleak room. As soon as I stepped out of the room, it felt like I was in a different dimension. It was so bright out that I had to close my eyes for a few moments to adjust. Not only that, but it was so hot my skin immediately felt like someone had run over it with hot water from my sweat. After seeing me suffer, Ryder touched my hand and made a cool relief wash over me. It was almost as if he put ice all over me that kept the heat off of me.

    It was nice. So now we hold hands as we walk to the end of a corridor. Looking to my left, I see a couple of windows. It looks like Earth with just a few black places and burnt trees. It's still beautiful though, with fresh water running down the length of the area I can see.

    Ryder turns, then turns again. Everett glances over his shoulder before smiling and moving out of the way. He had been standing in front of me for a while now, blocking out my view. Now that he's moved, he reveals a small village beneath us. I look down and realize we are in a castle. Satan lives in a castle. The idea makes me grin.

    "It's gorgeous," I mumble. Ryder just shrugs beside me before grabbing my hand tighter and pulling me away. I look down at his hand before seeing golden floors. At first, my eyes don't really realize its actual gold, but then I gasp. All boys look back with curious faces. "This is actual gold!" I shriek before bending down and touching it. Ryder sends me a worried look before bending down and grabbing me, forcing me upward. I look at him shortly before I turn and suddenly walk into something warm and rough.

    My heart stops and I squeeze my eyes shut before opening one eye tentatively. Something gray sits before me. When the thing moves, an evil laugh floats from its lips. I scream before looking over the rest of the things body. It's huge and looks like a giant gorilla with enormous wings. It's scream pierces the air. I turn to Ryder and run behind him still screaming. He boredly looks ahead.

    "Oh my--" before I can continue, Ryder turns around and places his hand on my lips. He has a small smile on his face.

    "I wouldn't continue that sentence. I mean, considering where we are currently at," he says shortly before turning around. Everett and the boys giggle, casually sitting on some chairs. Can they not see the huge King Kong gorilla in front of us? The things eyes glow a crazy orange before it roars right in my face. My whole entire body shakes. "Father, you're scaring her."

    Just as he says that the gorilla raises an eyebrow and shifts into a man. A huge man. He looks like John Cena but three times bigger. He has a pitchfork thing next to him that's lite up like a light stick, a bright orange, but other than that, the man looks like a normal man.

    "Father?" I mumble before it clicks in my mind this is Satan. I immediately look to Ryder. Am I supposed to bow?

    Before I can question what to do, my hand is grabbed and I am getting tugged toward the huge man. He has smooth black hair, big black eyes, and a slight stubble lining his jaw. He's actually pretty attractive for the devil. I expected a short red guy with horns. This guy just looks like a bigger and older version of Ryder, which makes sense.

    He has wrinkles on his eyes, a scar running down the length of his cheek and a warm smile placed on his mouth. "Nice to finally meet you Everleigh Nelson. My name is Satan," he grins. His voice is booming. It's so loud that it sends vibrations to my feet through the floor.

    "Hi," I wave shortly. Just then, I'm grabbed away from Ryder and pulled into a big bear hug. "Uh, I--"

    "Father, shes still just a girl. You're going to kill her if you squeeze her harder," Ryder says before moving to walk away from us. His dad lets me down and I step back politely before running to Ryder. His arms wrap around me, immediately soothing my nerves.

    "Fear not, little one," his father addresses me like a child. "I plan not to harm you. In fact, I want to protect you which is why I commanded your presence." I take a careful step away from Ryder and toward him.

    "Protect me? From the angels?"

    "You mean the bird wannabes? Yes, little one." I curiously look up at him.

    "Why, exactly? Ryder told me you thought I had powers."

    "I do, believe that," Satan looks over at his son before nodding. "I believe you are stronger than me. But I also believe you have killer angels chasing you."

    My eyes triple in size. "Really?"

    "Why would I joke? Speaking of joke," Satan starts to grow a smile. "I'm not particularly keen on you girls calling your period 'Satans calling,' I mean, come on," he groans. Beside myself, I start to laugh.

    "Okay, enough of that," Ryder comes by and grabs my hand. Satan laughs.

    "Take a chill pill son," he smiles. I have to laugh again. I expected the devil to be scary and crude, not act like a dad stuck in his teenage years. Ryder seems more grown up then him.

    "Dad, she needs to get home. I'm sure her parents are worried sick. It's been two days."

    "Two days!" I screech. Ryder tenses before turning to look over his shoulder.

    "Uh, your wound was really bad. And also, hell takes a lot out of you."

    "Nah, he's lying Everleigh," Axel calls. "He just wanted more time to spend with you."

    "He never left your side as you slept!" Kayne teases.

    "I can't wait to get back to Earth," Ryder mumbles like he hates his life. His dad laughs before bumping him on the shoulder.

    "Relax, son," Satan starts. "It looks like your girlfriend enjoys hearing that," his eyebrows wiggle. Ryder and I both freeze.

    "She's not my girlfriend," Ryder shakes his head. Satan just pulls back before sitting down onto a throne looking chair.

    "Whatever," his dad rolls his eyes. "Let's not forget that I was once friends with Cupid..." he mumbles.

    "You were?!" I shout in excitement. Satans black eyes meet mine. "How?"

    "He wasn't," Ryder says before grabbing my elbow. "Alright, now that you two have met, I really should get her home," Ryder sighs. I look over at him before turning to the three other boys. Even though I've only known them for a few, I feel like I've grown a friendship with them.

    "Not without us," Axel says before walking toward us. Satan nods his head slowly.

    "What?" Ryder says, confused.

    "Ever is going to need protection now that Gabriel told her what she really is. There's probably going to be archangels looking for her. I highly doubt you can fend off an archangel," Kayne says simply, crossing his arms. Ryder looks like he is going to object but just sighs.

    "You're right."   

    "An archangel?" I question. Ryder looks at me before explaining.

    "I high-class warrior. Unlike here, in heaven its all about classes. There are the high classes, which are like the archangels and God himself, then the lower-class made for one sole purpose: to repopulate."

    I chew my lip as I nod my head. So I have high-class warrior angels currently wanting to kill me and four goofy demons to protect me.

    Something about this doesn't seem right.

    Ryder grabs my arm before the other boys lock arms. Satan sends us a farewell wave before a bright orange light flashes and the world around me floats away.

___