XXI

THE ONLY NOISE is some crickets as everyone trails behind Dean

THE ONLY NOISE is some crickets as everyone trails behind Dean. I stand next to Ryder who is currently mumbling to Everett on how he should behave. It was a little alarming when Everett popped his head out from underneath Ryder's car when I walked by earlier. He had never seen a car before and was excited, yet he couldn't keep acting like that or someone would become weird around them.

Mac connected with the three boys instantly, their goofy ways sort of joining them together. They giggled about stupid things, and when Abby and I started talking about the planets--because she was currently taking Astronomy and was teaching me out the stars--Mac butted in and went, "Abby, my favorite planet is Uranus!" Everyone just turned to glare at him for being so immature. Except for Axel, Kanye, and Everett. They giggled and snickered and then even went as far as to say, "Everleigh, did you know Uranus is out of this world?" I swear I thought Dean and Ryder were going to punch them. Even my fist itched to slam on their faces.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Ryder leans down next to my ear. I startle away from him for a moment before nodding.

"Yeah. They'll never attack when we have a group of this many people...right?" Ryder's eyes shift to a warm brown color, telling me he is relieved.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm just paranoid."

About an hour later, we are all shuffling throughout the spooky corn maze. The moon smirks down at us as we all trudge our way forward, bracing for someone to pop out of the maze.

"I'm scared," I whisper to Ryder as I come up to huddle into his side. Luckily, Dean is ahead so he doesn't see me cuddling up to Ryder.

"I can tell. Your heartbeat is beating unusually fast," Ryder mumbles down to me. Everett comes up beside us.

"We all can," he motions to himself, and the other two boys. Kanye and Axel keep pushing each other into the corn maze, while Everett jumps in willingly. They aren't supposed to go off the path, but I figured controlling a demon would be pretty hard.

"Great. What about Dean?" I motion to Dean. I was worried about him getting scared. He was in a coma for about two months. Somehow, scaring him by jump scares doesn't exactly seem like the best idea.

All boys turn to look at Dean. They are silent for a moment before they both turn to look at each other in confusion.

"It's not...beating..." Ryder says slowly. My eyes widen.

"What?"

Ryder takes a step forward. Dean then turns around. "Come on," he hisses. His eyes flash to Ryder before turning back to me. His eyes zero in on my shoulder resting against Ryders hip. "Ever," he nods his head forward. "Come walk with me."

Normally, I would have willingly walked forward, but now, I don't dare move from Ryder. Its Everett who pushes me forward a little bit, and I know why. He doesn't want Dean to get suspicious. I glance at Ryder and he gives me a short nod. Carefully, I walk ahead of Abby and Mac who were mumbling to themselves. I come to be by Deans side when he wraps his arm around my shoulders.