XIX

IT'S GLOOMY WHEN I wake up

IT'S GLOOMY WHEN I wake up. My windows are shut but the air outside still creeps into my nose, all moist and foggy. I roll over in my bed, drowsily yawning. That's when I see curious black eyes staring at me. I immediately jolt up and grab my covers to stabilize myself, but I'm already sailing over the bed. Ryder hurriedly comes to the side of the bed, sending me a warm smile as he looks down at me.

    "Hi."

    "Uh-hi. Uh...why are you here? In my bedroom..." I trail off looking around. Oh Lord, please do not let my mom walk in and see him. "...shirtless," I add as he walks around the bed, showing off his muscled chest. It's much more defined than the last time I saw it. Realizing I am ogling his chest, I make a point of shoving my head under the covers.

    "I can feel the heat your body is giving off from your blush. No need to hide it," he whispers. "I've already told you before it was cute." My eyes peek out of the cover and I blush more from his closeness. Ryder allows a smooth smile to float across his lips.

    "Wheres the boys?" I ask, trying to change the topic. Ryder lets my blushing go and his smile widens as he realizes I am scurrying to change the conversation. Jerk.

    "My house. After you passed out, we all fought on where they should stay." I nod my head slightly. I don't remember passing out, but I don't doubt I did. I have no recollection of ever wandering into my bed. "We also fought about who should watch over you first and came to an agreement," Ryder says. I look over at him, raising my eyebrows to show I'm interested. He continues, "I watch over you at school--obviously--and the boys will take turns scouting your house."

    I nod my head, trying to act like I'm perfectly okay with warrior angels currently trying everything to kill me. I'm just thankful I have Satan on my side--literally. The idea makes me smile.

    "I like your dad," I tell Ryder. "He's not what I expected."

    Ryder thinks about his dad for a moment, a slow smile slipping across his handsome face. I notice a slight stubble on his face and reach up without thinking to rub it. Ryder pauses, his eyes turning toward mine. When he continues, his voice is lower. "Yeah. He's a pretty nice guy. Not many people would expect the devil to be that cuddly and funny. Just you do not want to get him angry." I nod my head furiously.

    "I bet. So...how does it work? After Satan dies are you going to take over?"

    "After Satan dies..." Ryder trails off, a sly smile slipping across his face. "Ever, we are immortal. We don't die."

    My eyes widen. "Like vampires?"

    His face twists. "No, not like them. We age still, just we don't...die. And our years are longer to form out."

    "What do you mean?" I raise my eyebrows, shifting to sit against my bed. Ryder takes a moment before speaking.

    "I know I look like a 19-year-old in your human years, but I'm actually 1900 years old. It takes hundreds of years to become a year old in your time if that makes sense." I stare at him with utter shock. Well then...