XVII

MY EYES POP open as I start to cough, remembering what happened

MY EYES POP open as I start to cough, remembering what happened. As soon as my eyes adjust to the darkness, I see a pair of dark brown eyes right above mine making me scream. The person above me screams as well and jumps away from me. I jump upward, shrieking and curling up, my knees coming against my chest as we just stare at each other, screaming.

    "Who are you?!" I shout. The guy stops screaming before sending a relaxed smile, forgetting about his act.

    "My names Everett." I raise an eyebrow at him.

    "You say that like its going to explain why I am in a dark room and a complete stranger was just less than three inches away from my face," I hiss back. Everett looks away from me shortly before he licks his lips.

    "You're right. I'll go get Ryder."

    My heart swells thinking of Ryder. Memories float up to me from last night. It seems like a wild dream.

    "Ryder," I mumble as I get up and follow Everett to the door. He notices me waiting patiently for him to open the door before wincing.

    "Um, you may want to stay in here for a moment. When you walk outside, you may faint," he shrugs. I turn to look at him, my eyebrows crunching.

    "What do you mean?"

    "Its a lot for someone to take in," Everett says just as the door bursts open and Ryder's familiar face walks in.

    "Ryder!" I sigh and run to him. His eyes warm with relief as he grabs me around the waist, holding me tightly. I forget about the kiss we shared a couple of nights ago--something that would make me extremely awkward. I just welcome his relaxing aura washing over me.

    "Ever, I'm so glad you're okay."

    "Thanks to you," I whisper in his ear. Ryder shivers slightly, pulling back for me to see a cocky smirk sliding over his face.

    "So you remember everything?" His eyebrow raises. I pause for a moment before nodding. I remember Gabriel...my true being...me falling...Ryder catching me.

    "Yes," I nod my head. Ryder's tension in his shoulders relax but then tighten again when he remembers something.

    "Did...he tell you anything about me?" Ryder's eyebrows raise. I chew on my lip before looking away. Gabriel didn't tell me exactly what Ryder was, but right now, its sort of all coming together like a puzzle piece.

    Lucas and Ryder...the tension between them. It wasn't normal hatred. It was hatred so strong it could push someone over if they allowed it. Ryder caught me from midair, meaning he has something to keep him flying. Gabriel spoke of demons and angels. I'm part demon. Lucas is an angel...which means Ryder has got to be a demon.

    "He didn't tell me exactly what you were, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out you aren't human."

    "Got that right," Everett perks his face in between us, a goofy smile on his face. Just then, the door opens and two other people walk in. They have impressive looks upon their face, but they smile when they see me.