XXVII

"NO, DEVIL NO!" I shout as I slam my hand down on the radio button, immediately shutting off the song "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel

"NO, DEVIL NO!" I shout as I slam my hand down on the radio button, immediately shutting off the song "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel. Ryder sends me a look from the driver's seat of his Jeep, lowering his eyebrows.

"Devil, you scared me," he hisses. Everett giggles from the back before I turn around an send him a glare.

"Please tell me why Everett is coming with us to school again?"

"Because if Gabriel was kicked out of heaven, he's vengeful. Vengeful ex-archangels don't exactly mess around. And as much as I hate to admit it, he's more powerful than me."

"Right," I look out the window, a little line as my lips. I've had to deal with the boys constantly around me for three days, and Everett can get really annoying. Especially when he doesn't shut up during movies and steals all my chips. Since we found out about Gabriel, the boys have moved from the woods and instead are in my house pretty much every second of the day.

Apparently, Gabriel was kicked out of heaven because he tried to kill me. Only Lucas was allowed to touch me--which seems pretty absurd--but I'm glad its a thing. Now, Gabriel is wandering around on the earth with his wings ripped out of his shoulders. He probably reeks of the stench of revenge. I was told Gabriel is probably wallowing in his pity. Being kicked out of heaven--especially when you were a high classed angel--is pretty horrible. I was told by Satan that angels take it so far that they kill themselves with their own magical swords.

Ryder made sure to explain everything to me but to put it in an easier way, Everett simply told me this. "Since you are the reason Gabriel got booted out of the puffy clouds, he's now set his sights on you with one thought: to kill." Ryder seems pretty determined not to let that happen--and that doesn't surprise me. Ryder told me he loved me. It's likely he will do anything in his power to protect me.

Since Axel caught onto Ryder's odd behavior around me since we found out about Gabriel, Axel whispered to me one day as Ryder was away from me. He told me he had reason to believe Ryder would risk his own life for me. I just stared at him with dead eyes. I didn't want Ryder to risk his life for me--hell, I didn't want any of the boys to. I wasn't worth it. I could destroy the world if I don't get my powers together--something I'm still trying to wrap my head around--and these guys do nothing but help the dead find happiness once again.

I still find it romantic though. Even though Ryder and I aren't exactly a touch-y-feel-y couple (if one would consider us one) I know his love for me is way more than my love for him. And it should be. Kayne told me demons barely ever find love, but when they do, they grasp onto it with both hands and never let go. It scares me honestly. I don't Ryder to be a clingy boyfriend.

I know these should not be my priorities, but I can't help the way they dance on the edge of my mind.

We pull into school, and I instantly lower myself in my seat as I remember Abby. How will I get through the day without my best friend? Ryder and Everett both notice my erratic heartbeat because they look at me with worry in their eyes.