XXIX

"OH, SHIT

"OH, SHIT." I look out my window to see Dean pulling up to my house. Since that night in the corn maze, I haven't really talked to Dean. He calls and leaves messages. I had completely forgotten Dean and I were a thing, no matter how horrible it sounds. But it's a good thing because it means that since my feelings for him were magically wiped away, I can now break up with him without feeling like my heart is getting sliced in two.

    I figure now is the best time to do it, so I start to move away from the window but freeze when I see a familiar head of blond hair get out of the car. Elliot. Of course, they are together, there isn't a moment they aren't. I can't break up with Dean in front of Elliot. Elliot will try to bring us back together, but how do I explain to him that part of the reason I do not want to talk to Dean anymore is that he isn't fully Dean? Elliot would think I've gone insane.

    Or not. A voice in my head says. I freeze. Elliot's injuries were possibly fatal and he just shows up to school like his whole body wasn't literally in a cast the week before. HIs injuries were way too severe for him to just get up like that. Gabriel must've done something with Elliot as well. Ryder must sense my panic, because when I turn around, he is there, staring at me from my window.

    "What's wrong?"

    "Elliot and Dean. I think Gabriel healed them both," I whisper. Ryder goes tense before he walks over to me. He looks down to see Dean and Elliot ring out cheery doorbell. Misha goes crazy as I turn to Ryder. "What do I do?"

    "Act normal."

    "Break up with him? Okay?"

    "What? I didn't say that. I said--"   

    "Break up with him," I smile. I know what I'm doing and I don't feel bad about it. I'm just thinking Ryder told me to break up with Dean so I don't feel so guilty. Ryder must realize what I am doing because he sighs.

    "Ever..."

    "No, I'm going to do it."

    "You can't. As much as I want you to--and, believe me, that's a lot--you cannot give off weird signs. Dean could be wrapped around Gabriel's finger thinking that Gabriel is his guardian angels who healed him. If Gabriel asks how you are, Dean may say you broke up with him and make Gabriel kill Dean because he is no longer a use to him."

    "Oh, wow. Depressing," I mumble.

    "I know. But that's not the worst part. Dean might send Gabriel over to you because he believes he will protect you instead of him if you guys break up. And, well, we both know Gabriel doesn't want to protect you."

    "Yeah."

    Suddenly, my door is open. Ryder soars out of my window and I'm left staring at a blank wall as my mother peeks her head in. "Ever? You have some guests." The grin on her face makes guilt ride my heart. She is so excited that the boys are okay.