XXVIII

MY MIND IS all over the place as I think about what just happened

MY MIND IS all over the place as I think about what just happened. After Ryder had calmed down--it took a lot of me running my fingers through his hair and murmuring to him--we ended up laying down together. His wings sort of refused to go away and he had to position himself awkwardly so his wings would fit on my bed. They ended up curling around me like a burrito. I couldn't escape his wings grip on me even if I wanted to. He fell asleep a little while ago, but I'm wide awake as I stare at the sharp scythe-shaped blade on the top of his wing that is less than three inches from my eyeball.

    I move away from it slightly, leaning my head back on the pillow. I haven't even been able to shut my eyes since that dumb dream--no, nightmare. Ryder promised me he would try and stay awake with me, but something made him drift off to sleep. I figured he felt so comfortable in my bed with his arms wrapped around my waist, is wings a blanket to me, and everything being me around him was what made him fall asleep. I also haven't been able to feel his heartbeat since he woke me. I thought demons didn't have heartbeats--or pulses. I had never been able to feel it before, but now I wonder if it has always been there, just too faint to feel.

    I suck in a deep breath as I remember the darkness that surrounded me in that nightmare. Everything in that nightmare seemed so real. It had the information right, the memories of what Everett and Axel told me true...it just went wrong when Mac came over. Everett did start to come to school with me, and he has been for about a week now. Satan insisted, and he even got more demons around. Because a vengeful angel is the worst type of angel. I remember Satan looking me dead in the eye and telling me it was likely that Gabriel would try everything in his power to kill me, even take me out with him if possible.

    Suddenly, I taste blood in my mouth. I almost start screaming but realize I did it myself. I've been biting the delicate flesh lining the inside of my lip without knowing.

    "Ever?" Ryder's husky voice fills my ear. I try to ignore how hot it is against my ear, but a warmth slides up my stomach.

    "Hey, sorry, did I wake you?"

    "Not purposefully, but your heartbeat did." My eyes widen as I realize he was worried about me even in his sleep.

    "Sorry," I mumble. Ryder looks up at me then, his eyes shining in the moonlight. The rain cleared up a little bit earlier revealing a beautiful moon.

    "You have nothing to be sorry about."

    Its silent between us for a moment before I start to wonder. "How did you know I was in a nightmare?" I ask in the darkness. Ryder is silent for a moment before he sighs.

    "I was watching you sleep," he sounds worried that I'll be freaked out by that, but from what I've been through, it sounds normal. "You looked so peaceful at first, and even started smiling a couple of times," Ryder says as he moves over so that his head is placed delicately on my stomach. "But then you just stopped. Your breath, your little smile. You just completely froze. I thought you died, for a moment," from the way Ryders voice breaks, I know it's painful for him to remember. "But then your heartbeat was so loud and so frantic I thought you were literally dying. It took me forever to wake you up. Your eyes were going insane beneath your eyelid and you even once opened them to look at me. They were clouded over--as if you were dead inside. It was so scary. I never felt what I felt in that moment, and I never want to feel it again."