XVI

MY MIND IS somewhere else as I walk down the trail I made into the woods

MY MIND IS somewhere else as I walk down the trail I made into the woods. I move toward the familiar grassy spot, grinning when I see Prince casually eating some grass. He perks when he hears my footsteps and makes a little noise before trotting toward me. He circles around me, prancing and dancing.

"Hey buddy," I grin at him. He makes another noise, making me realize this isn't happiness he is expressing. "Bud?" Prince moves before jumping and soaring over the grasslands. He wakes up Princess who looks at me, her eyes widening before she runs toward me. My eyes widen in surprise. She never comes near me. She snorts before raising up and kicking the ground. "Whoa!" I cry as I step backward. Prince is suddenly rubbing his butt against mine, forcing me to walk toward the grassy area. I sit down on the log where Hansel suddenly pops out.

"Hansel!" I yelp in surprise. He growls shortly before moving toward me and allowing me to pet him. Hansel is a coyote I freed from a fence one day. He was running from a crazy old man, about to get killed when I appeared and stops the insidious man from killing the innocent baby. Hansel cowered behind me as I told the man off.

Hansel and Prince start to move around me before I just get up. "Do you want me to go?" Princess and Prince both look to each other before starting to prance some more. Hansel comes up beside me and lays down across my lap, keeping me still on the ground. "What the..." Suddenly, a pain rockets up my abdomen. I gasp--something all three of the animals still to hear. Their heads all turn to me as I grab my stomach.

"Ow," I cry. Hansel starts to whine, his tongue licking my knee like a domesticated dog. Prince comes down beside him, ignoring the fact that a coyote (a basic predator) is in his den. Hansel would never hurt Prince. Prince gingerly touches me with his white antler. I groan before laying down on my back. Footsteps walk over to me slowly as my vision starts to dim. I gasp and hold at my stomach, seeing a faint red cover my shirt. It feels like someone is twisting a knife in my back. "Prince!" I gasp when I hear his loud groan. I open my eyes to see Prince firmly standing above me, his two front feet placed above my head as his head lowers. A second later, I hear something loud and heart-shattering. Prince lets out a low cry before falling onto the ground.

"Prince!" I scream. I ignore the pain and run to Prince where I grab his head and hold it firmly in my hands. His eyes stare at me before moving over to look behind me, worry licking his every feature. I look over my shoulder and freeze as I see a gun. Hansel slides around my side, protectively coiling himself around me. My stomach warms as I realize these animals are risking their lives for me--some literally. Princess lets out a low sound before darting off through the woods. My hands suddenly burn on Prince's face. He lets out a low, exhausted groan before letting his head fall against the ground. A hand is suddenly on my shoulder, strong and excruciatingly painful. I let out a small whimper, just as Hansel jumps up. His teeth dig into the man's arm, and a big hiss of pain comes from the attacker. I launch up after placing Prince's head on the ground and suddenly charge. Hansel jumps off of our attacker before I tackle the man to the ground. A rage pulses out of me so strong I'm afraid of myself when I grab the gun from the man's hand. A big groan falls from his lips as I cock the gun and press it against his throat. Hansel snarls beside me, his fur raising aggressively on his back. His tail brushes against my upper arm as he circles around the man and I.