XX

I'M WALKING TO Chemistry when a rough hand lands on my elbow and I am suddenly pulled into an empty classroom

I'M WALKING TO Chemistry when a rough hand lands on my elbow and I am suddenly pulled into an empty classroom. A small smile wraps over my face I turn, expecting Ryder, but freeze when I see Lucas standing there. His hair is ruffled, his green eyes a shade of dark green and his eyes are tired.

"Lucas!" I hiss. I take a huge step back. He notices.

"Ever, I know you know everything, just let me explain," he pleas. I stare at him for a moment before carefully cocking my head to the side. Ryder would kill Lucas if he found out he was here in the school and had me cornered in a vacant room. It's been a very normal week for me. I got used to walking outside my house and into the woods to see one of the boys casually perched 100 feet up in a maple tree playing with the leaves. I remember the first time I walked into the woods to see Everett playing with an orange maple leaf. I looked up and asked him what he was doing.

He shouted back, "There are no leaves in hell. They are truly magnificent." I just smiled up at him before getting greeted by Hansel.

Right now, I wonder what Everett or one of the guys would do if they were here. I know Ryder wouldn't be kind for sure.

"What is there to explain? You were sent here to kill me...by God."

Lucas winces. "I know it sounds bad--"

"Sounds bad? It is bad!" I shout in outrage, my voice purposefully raising. Maybe someone outside in the hallway will hear me and rescue me. Lucas realizes why I am shouting and surges forward, his hand locking on my mouth. It reminds me so much of Gabriel that I instantly tear up and my breath becomes rapid. When Lucas realizes my behavior, his grip loosens.

"Please, Ever, just give me a chance to explain," he whispers in my face. I look into his eyes shortly, them a swirling storm of evergreen emotions. I suck in a breath, begging the air to give me some type of strength.

"Fine, you have five minutes. Then I need to get to class."

"I only need two."

Lucas moves over so that when I sit on a desk, he sits on the desk in front of me. I lean back, the furthest distance away from him. I skeptically look around before nodding at him to start. He opens his mouth and speaks.

"I was sent to...kill you. But, when I met you, it was like all of my original plans failed because all I wanted was to be near you." I tilt my head at him. "In heaven, angels like me do not get much love."

"Angels like you?"

"I'm an assassin type of angle...sort of. We are considered horrible and merciless, but obviously, that isn't true."

"And Gabriel?" Lucas looks down at the mention of Gabriel.

"An archangel, sort of. He's a high-level angel, but he wouldn't be classified as an archangel. He's a servant to God who has power from that job."