IX

ABBY LITERALLY PULLED me into her car before driving us to the nearest corner store, revealing some cheerleaders and people in summer clothes

ABBY LITERALLY PULLED me into her car before driving us to the nearest corner store, revealing some cheerleaders and people in summer clothes. "Why are we having a car washing fundraiser in the middle of October?" I wondered out loud.

    "Homecoming."

    "And the people in shorts? Why?"

    "No one misses a chance to slut-out," Abby responded. So now I am standing on the porch of the store holding a lime green hose. I point it where I'm directed, boredom sliding across my entire body. Fundraisers are supposed to be fun, but I am shivering in my basic white t-shirt, probably the worst shirt to wear to this place. Abby is by Mac, rubbing down cars with soap. She has soap in her hair, all matted.

    "I see Abby succeeded in dragging you here," Ryder says coming up beside me.

    "Yeah. I'm trying to ignore her now." Some music sings from a beatbox hidden being a store pillar. Customers walking into the store look at us and smile before walking in.

    "It's not that bad," Ryder shrugs. I look up at him, seeing him shove a candy in his mouth. I peer into his hand before grabbing a piece of candy, allowing a warm feeling enter my mouth. I sigh.

    "That's because you have candy and you're not doing anything. Why are you here?"

    "My cars getting washed," Ryder points to his black car, making me raise an eyebrow.

    "So...you came here to get your car washed."

    "It's been getting washed by Yasmine and her group of cheerleaders for the past twenty minutes," Ryder laughs. "I can't leave."

    "So you can help," I grin and hand him the hose, quickly stealing the candies.

    "No way," he says and flicks the water at me. Freezing water creeps up my body before I look up at him, seething.

    "If you're going to get me wet, making sure you do not hit my shirt!" I growl. I look at the bottom of my white tee, my denim pants now soaked around my butt.    

    "Hit it?"

    "No!"

    "Yes?"

    "No!" Before I know it, Ryder is aiming the hose at me again. I yelp and move behind a rocky pillar. People honk, saying that they are arriving and need their car washed. I see Abby looking at me as I shiver. "It's October! You're going to make me get a cold."

    "Oh. Sorry," Ryder says. I peek around the pillar before coming out again. Five minutes pass as he pushes the hose toward a car, now soaking a blue one. The adult driver looks at us quickly before smiling his thanks. Abby comes over then, growling.

    "Hey! That's Evers job!"    

    "It's perfectly fine he's doing my job," I shake my head. "Let him."