•29•Alex•

Alex couldn't help but smile when Diana and Karter started bickering. They were surrounded by guns pointed at them, and yet they somehow managed to cut all of that out and focused only on each other.

Luciano's face expression almost made it worth it. It was a 'I-can't-believe-that-this-is-the-leader-that-has-cornered-me-like-a-rat-against-a-wall.' But he knew that Karter was like this only with Diana.

When one of the guards cleared his throat and they snapped at him immediately, Alex thought he was going to burst out laughing and would have to be carried out of the basement.

When Diana finally gave in and dragged Em out of the basement, Karter looked to him and his order rang in his head.

"Go with Diana. Protect her."

Alex shook his head. He knew that Karter would need him more here than she would. Karter looked furious.

And that's when a bullet hit him, Alex. Out of nowhere. It only hit his arm but the pain flared through his entire hand. He had been shot before but you never really get used to it. Before he could do anything, the firing started on both sides.

Immediately a group of guards covered up Luciano from all sides and formed a protective barrier around him.

Pussy. Alex heard Karter yell out.

The fight didn't last long. It was a quick one, considering that there were only twenty people in Luciano's gang and more than a hundred on Karter's side.

"I should get a look at that." A voice spoke behind Alex.

Alex had never met her before. "You new?"

"Nope. Been a part of this mafia for a year now." She replied as she took my arm to check the wound. If she meant for the statement to hurt him in any way, it didn't.

A year back, when Karter found out about Diana being alive, he had started hiring more security guards. Alex had been busy with... other missions.

The girl had made him sit down on a ledge at the corner of the basement. She dressed his wound "as best as she could" as Alex looked at his best friend whoop the asses of those who tried to hurt his sister.

Luciano somehow had escaped with one of his men. The rest of them were either tied up in a corner or injured and were lying on the ground.

As far as he knew no one was dead.
Once Karter took over his father, he had made sure to get an oath from everyone to never shoot to kill until unless really needed.

Though Karter was really good at it. This wasn't the job for him. He was someone who should have been able to go to college, get a job, and settle down. He didn't ask for any of this. But he never complained.

The Mafia was dumped on to him as a five-year-old boy. That couldn't have been easy.

"What's going to happen to all of them?" The girl spoke as she finished bandaging his hand.

"What about the bullet?" He asked.

"There is no bullet in your arm." She replied.

"What?"

"There is no bullet in your arm. It must have gone through you."

But Alex was standing in front of the men. If it went through him it must have hit someone else.

He was standing in front of...

Oh fuck.

He looked at Karter.