t w e n t y

S C A R L E T T

The air around me is hot and muggy, causing small amounts of sweat to prick at my skin even though I'm not even wearing that much, just a bralette and a tight skirt as I suspected the temperature would rise significantly. The copious amounts of people I push past seem to be feeling the heat too, their cheeks tinged red and their cups continuously topped up to keep themselves hydrated. Music thumps through the rooms, so loud it you can even hear it upstairs, the bass booming so much that it almost makes the whole house shake.

I returned back from my weekend at Harry's house, kind of bored just roaming around my empty house and trying to find any food in the cupboards. After being unsuccessful in that area, I got a text from my mum that she and Evan are staying away for one more night, coming back around noon the next day. So, with me being bored out of my mind and just being the impulsive person I am, obviously I immediately wanted to throw a party. I sent around a few messages, and word clearly got out because now it seems like everyone in my age range in town has showed up. I don't mind though, in fact, I'm completely in my element.

Speaking of, I decide to take a break from the pretty crazy dance circle occurring in the middle of the living room, managing to squeeze my way out. I head into the kitchen to grab another drink, my dry mouth and throat practically gagging for some moisture, although I'm slightly distracted when a familiar smell hits my nostrils as soon as I walk in. My eyes immediately turn to the small group stood at the end of the kitchen, already knowing who it is before I see them.

"Zayn, Liam, I said it's fine to smoke, but you need to do it outside," I tell them for what feels like the hundredth time when I finally push through to reach them.

"It's fucking cold outside through," Zayn replies, the joint dangling between his fingers as he narrows his eyes at me. "Do you want me to get hypothermia and die?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I want," I reply sarcastically, attempting to shove them both out of the back door. "Come on, out."

They reluctantly let me push them out of the back door and into the garden, looking pissed off with me that I'm exposing them to the cold air of the night. For me, it's quite nice, the air washing over my body and managing to cool down my heated skin. I decide to stay outside for a while too, joining them where they're leant against the wall as they both share the joint.

"Want a hit?" Liam asks me after a while, turning to face me as he holds his hand out to me.

"Sure," I say casually, smiling as a thanks as I take it from him and balance it between my fingers. They both watch me as I bring it up to my lips and then inhale for a few seconds before pulling it away again, watching as the cloud of smoke drifts away in the air before me.

"I thought you didn't smoke anymore?" Zayn asks me curiously as I take another hit.

"I don't," I reply, and when both him and Liam raise their eyebrows, I let out a small laugh. "Ok, well, I do it socially most of the time."

"I'm sure Harry won't be very pleased with you," Liam teases as I hand him back the joint.

"I think he'd be more concerned if I was doing crack cocaine. He's not stupid enough to be worried about weed," I laugh, rolling my eyes at the suggestion. "And anyway, hasn't he smoked it with you two before?"

"Yeah, he has. I was only joking," Liam replies after exhaling. "He's just always trying to get you back on the straight and narrow, isn't he? I just find it funny."