f i f t y f o u r

A.N. I listened to the song above (wrong direction by hailee steinfeld) while writing this chapter & I advise you guys to listen while reading, I feel like it really helps to emphasise the emotion in this chapter

It's quite a long one, so I hope you enjoy it!! Pls remember to be active and comment/vote, I love reading all your reactions.

SCARLETT

SCARLETT

I force myself to keep my breath steady, although it's quite hard when it feels like my heart is literally going to burst through my chest and explode all over the ballroom. Nerves churn in the pit of my stomach and I begin to feel a little shaky, which only increases my confusion. Throughout the entire time I've known Harry, I don't think I've ever felt nervous around him. He was always the one person that brought me comfort, the person I could completely be myself around. I never had a reason to feel nervous around him. But now, as I stand here staring at him, it feels like I'm looking at someone I barely know anymore.

Our first greeting hangs in the air between us like a cloud, both of us seeming a little speechless from seeing each other again after so long. There's so much I want to say to him, so much I want to ask, so much I want to tell him about. However, neither of us have the chance to really say anything else before the music suddenly changes from the upbeat song it was playing to a much slower, romantic ballad. The people already on the dancefloor begin to sway along to the rhythm and a few couples migrate over to join them, the lights in the ballroom dimming a little as people begin to slow dance.

Harry's eyes momentarily flit over to the dancefloor before bringing them back to me, surprising me when he quietly asks, "Dance with me?"

I blink back at him, really not expecting him to say that or for him to even want to dance with me, but I find myself nodding slowly. His lips twitch with a small smile at my response, bowing his head a little in an attempt to hide it as we make our way over to the middle of the dancefloor. His hands wrap around my body and slowly move to my waist as if he's unsure if it's alright to touch me, which I can't help but find a little cute. I loop my arms around his neck as if to reassure him that it's fine, and then his hands settle more comfortably on my hips.

"Sorry," he suddenly mumbles, causing me to furrow my eyebrows at him quizzically. "I feel nervous to even touch you...."

"It's ok," I assure him just as quietly, linking my hands behind his head, arms draped down over his shoulders. Biting down on my lip, I struggle to think of what to say first as we both slowly move along to the music. "So what are you doing here?"

"Couldn't miss out on seeing you in this dress, could I?" he replies, shooting me a cheeky smile.

I roll my eyes playfully, a quiet giggle escaping my lips before I can stop it. I can't help but feel a little elated because of his comment, even though I know it shouldn't affect me at all. Regardless, I find myself asking, "You like it then?"