f o r t y f i v e

A

A.N. this chapter took me forever to write idk why I think I just had writer's block. but oh well at least it's here now. A lot is revealed in this one, so enjoy!

SCARLETT

After we've partly managed to regain our breath, Harry and I both get re-dressed, myself pulling my thong back up my thighs and readjusting my skirt, while Harry buttons his shirt back up and buckles the belt on his jeans. I let out a small laugh when I glance over at him, reaching out to fix his messy hair and wipe away the smudges of lipstick on his face with my thumb, causing him to smile back at me lazily.

"Am I all good?" he checks once I've pulled my hand away.

"Yep, you're all good. Now I've just got to fix my sweaty mess." After running my hands through my hair in an attempt to detangle it, I scrape half of it back to try make it look a little presentable. As I do this, I notice Harry watching me closely out of the corner of my eye, causing me to shoot him a sideways glance. "What?"

"Nothing," he replies quickly, shaking his head as if to dismiss what he was planning to say, that same look of warmth flickering in his green eyes as he stares at me. I raise my eyebrows to make it clear I'm not convinced, but he just chuckles softly, a fond smile tugging at his lips. "It's nothing."

I still think he's holding back on saying something, but I decide there's no time to dispute it now. "Ok, suit yourself," I say, flipping down the sun visor mirror to check my hair and letting out a sigh. "God, I look like such a mess."

Harry rolls his eyes playfully. "No, you don't. You look perfect as always." He reaches out to gently grab my chin, making me smile when he pulls me closer to kiss my cheek. "Now, you ready to face the wolves?"

I laugh at his analogy of our friend group, thinking that it's a rather fitting description. We both climb out of the car and step into the cool evening air, our arms brushing against each other's as we head towards the pub where all our friends are already gathered. As we walk, I can't help but wish I could just grab his hand and we could go in there holding hands in front of all our friends, but I push that thought away quickly. We can't do that. At least, not yet. Maybe not ever.

As soon as we push through the door of the pub, I'm immediately enveloped in a big group hug with all my friends. I'm not really sure who's arms are around me and who's talking to me as all of them are around me at once, but I decide I don't really care. As soon as we pull apart I'm bombarded with a million questions: about the fire, about how it happened, about why I was in hospital for so many days, and if I'm feeling ok now. After assuring them that I'm fine about ten times, Liam and Niall drag Harry off to the bar to get some drinks, while Anna practically shoves glasses of shots into my hands.

"Oh my god, I'm so fucking glad you're ok!" Anna says once I've downed two shots to get to her level, although as I look at her swaying on her feet, I definitely think she's had a few more than that. She proves my point even more when she suddenly throws her arms around me again, hugging me tight. "I literally don't know what I would've done if something really bad happened to you! I was crying my eyes out all day when I heard you were in that fire. Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do without you. You're my bitch, bitch!"