f o r t y o n e

A

A.N.
ik this is quite a short chapter but I just wanted to get something up while I work on the next one, which I promise will be better and more substantial lol. also, chapter updates will become more regular in summer after exam season is finally over

HARRY

"Scarlett, can you just talk to me please?"

I follow her into my house which she just barged her way into, barely even giving me a chance to unlock the door before she pushed past me. Kicking the door shut behind me, I follow after her as she marches off into the kitchen, her heels loudly clicking against the floor.

"There's nothing to talk about," she replies, pulling her bag off her shoulder and placing it onto the counter before circling around the kitchen. "Have you got any food? I'm starving. We should've just eaten at the restaurant, I could've gotten us a discount or something."

I let out a sigh as she begins to rummage around the kitchen for something to eat, clearly not in the talking mood. But I most definitely am. "Who was that guy?" I ask her again, but just as she did in the car, she ignores me. Of course now, she doesn't have the radio to turn up in order to distract me, but instead she just continues to search through the cupboards, which unfortunately for her isn't as effective in drowning out my questions. "Who's this TJ he was talking about?"

"I already told you, they were just people I knew from Scotland," she says with a shrug, repeating the same words she's said to me about ten times now, which only increases my irritation. Scarlett doesn't seem to acknowledge my growing impatience though, because she continues to casually search through the cupboards like she doesn't have a care in the world. "Oooh, I love chilli Doritos." She grabs the packet from the cupboard and immediately tears it open, shoving a handful of crisps into her mouth.

I roll my eyes, walking over to the kitchen counter and gripping onto the edge. "They don't seem like just 'people'," I reply, eyeing her skeptically. "Sounded like they were more your friends."

Scarlett pulls a face, swallowing her mouthful of crisps. "I wouldn't say friends, exactly," she tells me. "More so....acquaintances. Just people I hung out to pass the time, really."

"Oh really?" My tone is practically dripping with sarcasm, a clear indication that I don't believe her. "It doesn't sound like you were just acquaintances if you were in his 'crew', or if some random bloke called you 'his little Lettie," I point out, grimacing at the words. "What was it he said, you were this guy's sidekick or something?"

Scarlett just blinks back at me, continuing to pop more crisps into her mouth. "You shouldn't listen to anything Joey says," she tells me, shaking her head as if the notion is ridiculous. "He doesn't know what he's talking about, probably doesn't even remember it. He was either drunk or high that whole summer."

"And what were you?" I ask curiously, raising my eyebrows at her. "It sounds like you don't remember much of it either. Why is that?"

"Maybe I just don't want to talk about it," she argues. "Ever thought about that?"