t w e n t y t h r e e

A.N.
thank you sm for all your comments on the previous chapter. as you know, engagement and interaction is important for a story & also it's just nice for authors to read reactions/comments on work they've spent hours on. Personally, comments motivate me to write & make me want to update more, so keep em coming lmao

as always, enjoy this chapter x

S C A R L E T T

"Ok, give me a second to understand this, because your love life is a fucking mess."

I let out a small laugh as I continue to fold napkins, which I'm not making much progress with because I've been too busy talking to Esme. She's one of the oldest of us girls working here in the restaurant, even though she's only in her late twenties, but she's the main person everyone goes to for general life advice, especially regarding boys and relationships. She's kind of like the mother hen for all of us, and she has our manager Simon wrapped around her finger too, so we never get into much trouble for spending half our shift chatting away. I've definitely learned some of my sweet-talking abilities from her.

"I think I've got it," she says after a while, clapping her hands together like she's successfully figured out my life and I glance over at her with an expectant look. "Harry is your best friend, you were dating Kyle, so tried to set Harry up with your friend Bella. But when you broke up with Kyle, you and Harry had a bit of a fling, but kept arguing so went back to just friends because it was less complicated, and then you walk in on Harry kissing that girl you set him up with?"

"I mean, to summarise, yes," I confirm and she smiles, seeming pleased with herself. "It's just....a bit more complicated than that."

"How so?"

"I don't know....." I trail off when I realise I don't have the right words, letting out a small sigh. "It's just all turned into a fucking mess."

"And why do you think that is, hmm?" Esme asks me, raising her eyebrows at me disapprovingly. I open my mouth to reply, but she cuts me off again before I have a chance to utter a word. "I'll tell you why, it's because you became saliva sharing buddies with your best friend, which you never do under any circumstance. Haven't I taught you anything?"

"It wasn't my fault," I defend myself. "It kind of just.....happened."

"But why did it happen?"

"I don't know, there was just this weird tension between us," I tell her with a shrug. "What is this anyway, 20 questions? I feel like I'm being interrogated here."

"Hey, you brought it up," she reminds me, raising both her hands in mock surrender.

"Wish I never did now," I mutter under my breath, adding another folded napkin to the growing pile.

Esme just laughs. "Alright, don't get stroppy with me, missy," she scolds playfully. "Look, all I'm saying is that you're clearly struggling with this whole 'you and Harry being friends' thing."

"No I'm not," I say firmly, although one glance at the expression on her face makes me realise I'm not fooling anyone. "Ok, so maybe I am. A little."

"A lot," she corrects me. "Because if you were fine with just being friends with him, then seeing him kissing another girl wouldn't bother you. In fact, you'd even be happy because you set them up in the first place. But you're not happy about it, are you?"

"Not exactly," I murmur, letting out another sigh before throwing down the napkin in complete frustration and turning to face her properly, really feeling the need to just rant. "Why aren't I happy about it?"