3.

Louis gives the old lady standing in front of the register an annoyed look but quickly puts on a fake smile. "Look, ma'am, I'm sorry but we can't accept expired coupons."

"But this is for canned soup, and I'm buying canned soup." She holds up the can of soup that's in her cart to prove her point.

"I understand that, and we're very thankful for your service, but these coupons are from two years ago. We can't accept them," Louis says, struggling to keep his fake smile and happy attitude facade up.

"Young man, I don't know what's wrong with those eyes of yours but this," She holds up the expired coupon once again. "Clearly says it's for canned soup and I'm buying canned soup."

Louis tries so hard not to sass this lady, he really does. But he's Louis, and sometimes the sass just isn't controllable. "Look, I have two minutes until my break and I really don't feel like arguing with a senile old lady. You can't use the coupon, so either buy the soup without it, or leave."

The lady looks at Louis with shock and a wide open mouth. "Why, I never! Young man that was incredibly disrespectful. I'm going to have a talk-"

Louis holds up a finger cutting the old lady off. "Sorry it's time for my break. You'll have to finish this with someone else." Louis doesn't say anything before he's walking out of the store.

"Fucking hate my job..." he mumbles to himself as he walks across the street to the sandwich place him and Niall planned to meet up at.

He goes in and finds his friend then sits in the chair across from him. He steals a few of Niall's crisps and shoves them in his mouth then takes a drink of Niall's lemonade, too.

"You're repulsive," Niall says, shaking his head in disgust and wiping the tip of his straw off with a napkin.

"If I became a stripper would you hate me?" Louis blurts.

"Huh?"

"Like if I really did become one what would you think. Seriously, all jokes aside."

Niall gives Louis a weird look but answers, "...Um nothing? I wouldn't care I guess. It's probably not that safe but if there are bouncers or whatever I'm sure you'd be fine."

"What would Zayn and Liam think?" Louis asks, taking a bite of the part of Niall's sandwich he has yet to finish.

"Well, Liam would probably overreact but he'd get over it and Zayn, I don't know really. He'd probably be mad at first too, but he'll be fine after he knows for sure that you won't get hurt."

"Good, cause I think I'm gonna do it."

Niall stares at Louis for a moment then quickly laughs, but notices Louis' straight face. "Wait. You're serious?"

Louis nods. "Yep. Can't take Tesco anymore, I'm one senile old lady away from having a mental breakdown."

"Whatever that means," Niall says still in disbelief. "You really are crazy aren't you?"

"How? How is wanting to make five hundred pounds a night by simply dancing and showing my ass to a few pervy guys crazy?"

"Uh...because you're showing your ass to a few pervy guys??"

Louis rolls his eyes. "They can't touch me. It's just a body, skin, it's the same as showing someone my arm."

Niall realizes that Louis really is serious, "I guess...I mean like I said, I'm cool with it if that's what you want. I just don't want you degrading yourself."

"Why look at it that way, though? It's my body, I'm confident in it, and I feel like, if I'm the one who wants to be on stage dancing then it can't really be degrading can it?"

"I guess not, as long as you stay safe," Niall says as he crumples up his garbage and gets up to throw it away.

Louis follows Niall as they both leave the sub shop. "I will be. Trust me."

"Well, hey, maybe if you really do start making tons of money you can stop stealing my food and buy your own," Niall says, opening the door for Louis.

"Yeah," Louis says as they get to the end of the sidewalk where he has to cross the street. "Maybe." Louis looks for cars and then starts walking across the street back to work leaving Niall to drive home.

It was an unrealistic thought at first, simply a fantasy of metaphorically swimming in singles, and learning to pole dance. Louis never thought he'd actually be considering calling Harry...again.

He thought about it a lot last night, he went over every possible bad outcome and none of them outweighed being able to pay his bills. The worst one was his mum finding out and like, disowning him or something. She's too sweet for that though. If she did happen to find out she'd give Louis a three-century-long lecture and that's probably it. As long as he doesn't get hurt, no one will be too upset...at least he hopes not.

Louis still tries telling himself that it's a stupid idea and he really shouldn't go through with it but he also knows subconsciously that his mind is already made. Now it's just a matter of working up enough courage to actually say yes to Harry.

❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎

When Louis gets back into work he finds a note on his register.

Louis, come see me

-Phill

Great, that old lady really did have a talk with his manager. Louis groans but does as told and heads to Phill's office. He knocks on the door and when he hears Phill tell him to come in, he sheepishly walks inside and closes the door behind him.

"Take a seat, Louis," Phill says, gesturing to the chair placed in front of his desk.

Louis sits down and doesn't say anything. Whenever he tends to open his mouth in situations like these...it usually doesn't work in his favor.

"Fourth time in the last two months Louis, not good."

"I'm sorry okay," Louis rushes out, "I've just been really stressed with school and I'm super tight on money and I jus-"

"Save it, I don't care about your personal issues. When you come to work you leave them at the door."

"Okay I got it, it won't happen again, sir," Louis promises as he tries to get up and leave.

"Sit down, Tomlinson."

Louis winces and then slowly sits back down in the chair.

"You promised me that the last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, and all the other times before that."

"I know, and I'm really sorry. I swear I'll stop. Leave my problems at the door and stuff."

"Louis..."

"Please Phill," Louis begs, literally folding his hands together. "I need this job."

"Obviously you don't need it bad enough if you keep slipping up like this."

"C'mon, I prom-"

"No Louis, I warned you last time," Phill says sternly, not showing any sympathy for Louis. "You can get your paycheck for this week but then you need to leave."

"But-"

"I'm sorry kid, I know it's rough but I gave you way too many chances. If I give you anymore then everyone else will expect the same and I can't have that."

Louis opens his mouth then closes it again. He stares at Phill and then nods. "Okay. Yeah okay, fine. I'll leave."

"Sorry, Louis. You're a good guy but not a good cashier."

"Can I just leave now? I don't need to be paid for today."

Phill shrugs. "I suppose I can't really tell you no considering you don't work here anymore."

Louis takes his stupid apron that all the employees wear and hands it to Phill. "Nice knowing ya, probably see you around when I'm getting food or something."

Phill gives a sad smile. "Yeah, good luck with your issues. I hope everything works out."

Louis' already halfway out of the door but he calls back, "Me too Phill, me too."