Chapter 22

Lucy's P.O.V

Carla threw me on the couch. "You tried to escape." I was afraid to look at him. When he was angry he had been fearful which somehow scared me more than his emotionless exterior." What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I apologize?"

"You apologize, you escaped or apologize because you were caught?" I couldn't answer him. "As I thought. As of now, I am not letting you out of my sight. If you try to escape again your punishment will be worse then the one you are about to endure." He was going to punish me. I should have seen this coming. Yet I had been confused. Why did he care so much if he had still been in love with Yui?

He pinned me to the couch, the maids were trying to ignore the events but somehow still watched, wondering what their master had planned. He stared at me in my eyes and blushed. I heard Mao began to wine from the nursery and hated to do it but knew I had no choice but to sing the song.

As soon as I started Carla froze. He looked angry and his grip tightened but instead of doing anything he watched me. As soon as I finished the song he glared at me but let me go. I quickly ran to the nursery and calmed Mao down, sadly knowing that Carla had something planned later.

A Month Later

Carla's P.O.V

I stared at the infant who smiled at me and arched a brow. She then giggled and reached out for me. I picked her up and held her. "For someone who wanted a son you really seem to be attached to Mao." I turned around and looked at the salmon haired man who I called my brother.

"She is my daughter and seems to inhabit my powers."

"You're right, but even though she has your looks and abilities, she seems to have Lucy's personality. Which is almost tomboyish."

"Tomboyish?" We looked in the doorway to see Lucy. She looked out of energy which had been understandable.

"You're finally awake brat?" Her brows furrowed.

"I have to feed Mao. She is an hour off schedule you know." I handed Mao to Lucy before I sat down.

"Shin, me and Lucy need to talk about something." He looked at her before he looked at me and shook his head.

"Fine" He left. Lucy sat in another chair and lifted down her shirt before feeding Mao.

"What is it?"

"I made a deal with the Sakamaki's a month ago." Her eyes widened before she looked at me.

"About what?"

"If something were to happen to Mao, that they would fix it."

"What would happen to her?"

"She is a first blood, just like me and will most likely or has already inherited my sickness."

"Carla-kun" She looked fearful which made me look away. I hated it when she did that. "If they can fix Mao why can't they fix you?"

"I do not need to be fixed, I have been like this for longer than you think."

"But I can't think of seeing you hurt-"

"You didn't think about that last month did you?"

"Carla-kun, I-"

"You didn't think I would want Mao safe? You didn't think I cared did you?" She looked away from me and began to pat Mao's back.

"You were always away, I guess I couldn't help but believe so."

"I had been doing things for you two." Her eyes widened and her cheeks reddened.

"I wanted you to be with us." As she heard Mao burp she started to rock her.

"I don't understand you." She looked at me.

"Neither do I, one moment you seem too busy for everyone and then the next you are here." As soon as she noticed Mao had been asleep she laid her in her crib and walked out. I followed her and closed the door behind me.

"Lucy"

"How long have you been visiting her?"

"Huh?"

"I know you still visit her, Yui-san, am I right?" My eyes widened. She knew? How did she know? "Do whatever you want. As long as you are happy I am fine." She said not taking a look at me but the smell of salt and the way she spoke sounded as if she had been crying. Why did she care if she never loved me?

"Lucy"

"Good night Carla-kun."