Chapter 19

"The first game of the first-year stage is finally over!" Midnight announced. "Now, take a look at the results!"

I beat Katsuki. That's all that matters.

The screen once again appeared and showed the results for the top 42 people. It seemed as though almost all of the hero course made it except for one person from Class A. There were only two other people not in the hero course; Shinso Hitoshi, who was in General Studies, and Hatsume Mei, who was in the Support Course. Shinso was placed 28th while Hatsume was placed 42nd.

And then there was me.

I placed 2nd.

Be proud, Fujiyama, be proud.

"The top 42 made it through to the next round." Midnight began explaining. "It's unfortunate, but don't worry even if you didn't make it! We've prepared other chances for you to shine." She licked her lips again. "The real competition begins next! The press cavalry'll be all over it! Give it your all! Now then, here is the second game. I already know what it is, but what could it be? What could it be? I just said it, and now here it is..." She gestured towards the screen as it spun only to show 'cavalry battle.' "Let me explain. The participants can form teams of two to four people as they wish. It's basically the same as a regular cavalry battle, but the one thing that's different is... Based on the results of the last game, each person has been assigned a point value." Midnight smacked her whip against the ground as people began talking. "You guys don't hold back even though I'm talking, huh?! Yes, that's right! And the points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So 42nd place gets five points, and 41st gets ten points! And the point value assigned to first place is... Ten million!"

Oh.

Poor Izuku...

I think I just saw him die a little inside.

"That's right." Midnight smiled. "It's survival of the fittest, with a chance for those at the bottom to overthrow the top! Those at the top will suffer more. You'll hear this many times as you attend U.A. This is what 'Plus Ultra' means! Midoriya Izuku, who placed first in the qualifier, is worth ten million points! Now then, I will explain the rules of the cavalry battle. The time limit is fifteen minutes. Each team is worth the total of its members' points, and the riders will wear a headband with that number on their foreheads. Teams will try to grab each other's headbands until time runs out, and try to keep as many points as they can. Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up. So the more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them! And the most important thing is that even if your headband gets stolen, or if your team falls, your not out! During the game, it'll be a cruel fight where you can use your quirks. But it is still a cavalry battle. You'll get a red card for attacks that are trying to make people fall on purpose! You'll be removed immediately!" A little ways away, I heard Katsuki let out an audible 'tch.' "Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!"

I looked around nervously as people from the same class quickly started grouping together. Michiko didn't make it to the top 42 either, so I can't team with her. And, if possible, I'd like to keep a fairly low profile during this game which means Izuku, Shouto, and Katsuki are all out as options.

Who do I know that doesn't stand out much but still wants to make it to the next round...?

My eyes lit up as my eyes finally came across a purple haired insomniac who still didn't have a team.

"Shinso-san!" I called out as I ran over to him, quickly gaining his attention. "D-do you want to b-be on a team together?"

"Alright," He, thankfully, replied with. It would have been awkward if he said no. "We still need two other people though."