Chapter 1

Claire

"Ms. Edwards, I absolutely loved you in your last film," a director gushed.

I blushed at the compliment, "thank you so much, but please, call me Claire."

I watched his face contort into an elevated expression at my comment. "Is there any particular reason why you chose that role, Claire?"

Before I could answer, I felt delicate fingers around my elbow, and my manager, Emily's voice in my ear a couple seconds later, "Claire, he's here."

I couldn't contain the smile on my face as I gave her a small nod and turned my attention back to the man in front of me. "To answer your question, it was a role I've never played before. It intrigued me and it really helped me get in the mindset of a person battling a drug addiction."

He smiled warmly, "I have a feeling Hollywood hasn't seen what you can really do and I can't wait for your next movie." He extended his hand for a handshake which I took gratefully.

Emily pulled at my elbow lightly signaling me to wrap up the conversation, "Thank you, but if you'll excuse me I have something I need to take care of." He nodded and turned his attention to other guests.

I followed Emily through the crowd of celebrities and politicians. She checked the watch on her wrist and turned back to me, "he landed about 15 minutes ago, but I can only stretch out the time you guys have to half an hour."

My face turned into a pout, "half an hour?" I repeated

She gave me an apologetic smile, "sorry Claire. If I knew he was going to be late, I wouldn't have scheduled an interview at 8 tomorrow morning."

I nodded slowly, wondering how much I can cram into half an hour. Emily nudged me softly in the ribs as I saw him. My legs turned to jelly and my heart rate picked up. He looked so handsome with his hair gelled and his tailor fit tuxedo.

"I'll come back for you in half an hour, then we'll go home ok?" Emily asked. She didn't wait for an answer as she left, looking for directors that might be interested at casting me.

I watched him take 2 flutes of champagne from a passing waiter as he met my eyes with a smile.

Nathan Carter. A successful businessman, son of Politician George Carter, a Yale graduate, and my secret lover.

5 years ago

I walked through the house party with my best friend Emma, we didn't go to this school but she had a lot of friends who did.

"Emily we can't stay here long," I yelled over the music, "we have class tomorrow."

She handed me a red solo cup, "come on Claire, live a little." She stared at me with challenging eyes until I tipped the cup back. The alcohol burning my throat as it went down, warming my body.

"Atta girl!" She cheered as she refilled my cup.

Emily was my best friend, we were roommates in our first year of University and from then on, we've been inseparable since.

She put her hair in a messy ponytail, "I'm going to go find my friends," she gestured to the other side of the room, "but Mr. Hunky McHunkerston is eyeing you at 12 o'clock."

We both watched as he made his way to us.

"Hi. I'm Nathan. I don't think I've ever seen you girls at a party before. Do you go here?"